Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Two of my cousins were in the Navy, one commissioned and one enlisted. Both loved it. I tried for a Navy commission. They ran me around taking tests and a physical, all of which I passed. Then they told me the didn't need anybody. (But they had to act like they did anyway!) In the meantime, I got draft. :dunno:

You'd have probably liked the Army - got through OCS easily. Go 20 years and get a pension when you are 40-ish. I got orders for infantry OCS and told them to forget it! :p

I've mentioned him before but Cory Booker is the best elected official in America. He is the type of person we need to run for President one day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Booker

Saw this recently, its his view on gay marriage. I used to be against it. When I was I said I was a hypocrite because constitutionally it should be allowed but my personal beliefs and prejudices just couldn't get my head around it being legal. I have changed and come to grips with it. Do I want to see two guys kiss? Hell effin no. But then again I don't want to see two fat people kiss or see my ex gf kiss her new bf either and neither shouldn't be illegal (except a Tottenham and Arsenal couple).

http://front.moveon.org/cory-booker-nails-marriage-equality-in-5-minutes/#.Ty2WgaDllTX.facebook

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll

My link

These national polls may make for good coffee table discussions but they really don't mean much. 40 of the 50 states are decided. What matters most is who is leading in the swing states and the most important of them are Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania. Wisconsin, Iowa, New Mexico, Virginia round out the rest. If either wins both Florida and Ohio its basically over. Of the 4 biggest swing states, Romney has the advantage. He'll win his dad's state, Michigan and he's within striking distance, even or slightly ahead in the rest.

Obama would easily beat Gingrich and Santorum.

Explosive new book: JFK’s dark affair with 19-year-old WH intern

In a new tell-all book, “Once Upon a Secret: My Affair with President John F. Kennedy and Its Aftermath,†now-69-year-old Mimi Alford writes candidly about her eighteen-month affair with the former president, starting when she was a 19-year-old White House intern.

A review by the New York Post summarizes some of the explosive details of the book, including Kennedy taking the intern’s virginity, pimping her out to “first friend†David Powers while he watched, forcing her to take drugs, helping to put her in touch with a then-illegal abortion doctor during a false-alarm pregnancy scare, flying her to Washington from her all-girls school while his wife was away and, in a dark moment of weakness during the Cuban Missile Crisis, admitting that he would rather see his children “red than dead.â€

Throughout it all, they never kissed. “The wide gulf between us — the age, the power, the experience — guaranteed our affair would never evolve into anything serious,†Alford writes.

First spotting Alford in the White House pool, Kennedy instructed Powers to invite her to a party that evening. After Alford had drunk a number of daiquiris, Kennedy gave her a “tour†of the White House, where he took her virginity in first lady Jackie Kennedy’s bedroom.

“The fact that I was being desired by the most famous and powerful man in America only amplified my feelings to the point where resistance was out of the question,†Alford writes. “That’s why I didn’t say no to the president. It’s the best answer I can give.â€

“On one excursion, she met Vice President Lyndon Johnson,†the Post reports. “When she told the president about the introduction, he lost his composure. ‘Stay away from him,’ he commanded, likely worried that Johnson could use knowledge of the affair against him.â€

The book, available nationwide, is likely to stir controversy, shifting public attention to dark aspects of the former president’s legacy. There has been no word from serial Kennedy biographer and MSNBC host Chris Matthews about how future renderings of the Washington “Camelot†legacy might accommodate Alford’s disturbing presidential portrait.

Strange how the press protected JFK.

Congressman thought parody article on Planned Parenthood was real

Republican House Rep. John Fleming of Louisiana has made himself the target of online ridicule after confusing a spoof article about Planned Parenthood as a factual news report, according to Politico.

An article posted to the Onion's website on May 18, 2011 is headlined, "Planned Parenthood Opens $8 Billion Abortionplex." Of course, as millions of readers already know, the Onion is a satirical news organization, which makes up fake parody stories about real people, places and things.

The fictitious article opens with the obviously made-up lead sentence: "Planned Parenthood announced Tuesday the grand opening of its long-planned $8 billion Abortionplex, a sprawling abortion facility that will allow the organization to terminate unborn lives with an efficiency never before thought possible."

However, the Onion's mission statement apparently was not explained to Rep. Fleming, who took to his Facebook account, writing: "More on Planned Parenthood. Abortion by the wholesale."

The post has since been removed from Fleming's Facebook page, but it can still be seen the website Literally Unbelievable, which captures posts from Facebook users who mistakenly think Onion articles are real.

Four Facebook users gave Fleming's post a "like," but eight other users chimed in to correct Fleming before the post was removed. One of the more biting missives came from a user who wrote, "The Onion is satire. How exactly did you get elected?"

Fleming, a two-term congressman first elected to national office in 2008, won his first race for by office by just four tenths of one percentage point. However, he won his 2010 re-election effort with 62.3 percent of the vote.

Fleming's errant Facebook post came after a week of heated discussion over abortion, with the Susan G. Komen Foundation announcing it was ceasing all donations to Planned Parenthood because of the group's stance on abortion. Komen then reversed its decision, saying it would continue to send a portion of its private donations to Planned Parenthood.

On February 3rd, Fleming's congressional office released a statement slamming Planned Parenthood, writing in part, "The pro-abortion intolerance is at times breathtaking and disturbing. By threatening Komen, it became clear that pro-abortion supporters were more than willing to jettison women's health issues in favor of blind support for the nation's largest provider of abortions.

Fleming's office confirmed to Politico that the post had been removed but declined to comment further.

Wikipedia faithfully chronicles other instances of Onion stories re-reported as a serious news items. The ranks of the bamboozled include MSNBC and the New York Times.

My link

Obama campaign to support super PAC fundraising

(CNN) - In a change of position, Barack Obama's reelection campaign will begin using administration and campaign aides to fundraise for Priorities USA Action, a super PAC backing the president.

Obama has been an outspoken critic of current campaign financing laws, in particular a Supreme Court ruling that allowed the creation of super PACs. Until now he has kept his distance from Priorities USA Action.

But in the wake of the group's anemic fundraising, made public last week, the campaign decided to change its position, and announced the new stance to members of its national finance committee Monday evening.

My link

Truth, lies and Afghanistan

How military leaders have let us down

By LT. COL. DANIEL L. DAVIS

I spent last year in Afghanistan, visiting and talking with U.S. troops and their Afghan partners. My duties with the Army’s Rapid Equipping Force took me into every significant area where our soldiers engage the enemy. Over the course of 12 months, I covered more than 9,000 miles and talked, traveled and patrolled with troops in Kandahar, Kunar, Ghazni, Khost, Paktika, Kunduz, Balkh, Nangarhar and other provinces.

What I saw bore no resemblance to rosy official statements by U.S. military leaders about conditions on the ground.

Entering this deployment, I was sincerely hoping to learn that the claims were true: that conditions in Afghanistan were improving, that the local government and military were progressing toward self-sufficiency. I did not need to witness dramatic improvements to be reassured, but merely hoped to see evidence of positive trends, to see companies or battalions produce even minimal but sustainable progress.

Instead, I witnessed the absence of success on virtually every level.

What a surprise ... :shakehead