Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I'm with you on this one, still what to do with the pregnant illegal who slips aross the border to have her child so the entire family can come in and stay? The whole subject opens an unpleasant can of worms.

I'm willing to offer citizenship to anyone who serves at least six years honorably in the US military. Don't know about now, but serving in the military used to reduce the residency requirement from 5 years to 3 to become a citizen (the legal way). I had a professor from Limerick who had done that. It also got him the GI bill in those days, which helped pay for his university eduation.

Okay, this sounds draconian. The child has a right to be in the USA, the mother doesn't. She has a choice. She can take her child back to where ever or let the baby stay and be the ward of the state with visiting rights under some sort of family visa.

If the child is broguht back the child is still a USA citizen and when of age can visit on its own or be brought to the border to be picked up by a family friend or relative.

The child has a right to be with its parent, yes, but that child can be with its parent in another country.

Sure, conviction rates are part of the political side of being a prosecutor. Prosecutors are normally, therefore, quite certain of the ability to convict somebody before they indict. I'm pretty sure a lot of guilty folks walk free due to a DA's uncertainty about the evidence being sufficient. On the other hand, defense attorney's aren't exactly to be held in high esteem when it comes to truth-finding.

Sadly, we do find a lot of people now having their convictions overturned on DNA evidence. Sad, cuz they've spent years behind bars for crimes they may not have committed.

HH

Sure, conviction rates are part of the political side of being a prosecutor. Prosecutors are normally, therefore, quite certain of the ability to convict somebody before they indict. I'm pretty sure a lot of guilty folks walk free due to a DA's uncertainty about the evidence being sufficient. On the other hand, defense attorney's aren't exactly to be held in high esteem when it comes to truth-finding.

Sadly, we do find a lot of people now having their convictions overturned on DNA evidence. Sad, cuz they've spent years behind bars for crimes they may not have committed.

HH

Sadder yet, we have probably executed innocent people.

Sure' date=' conviction rates are part of the political side of being a prosecutor. Prosecutors are normally, therefore, quite certain of the ability to convict somebody before they indict. I'm pretty sure a lot of guilty folks walk free due to a DA's uncertainty about the evidence being sufficient. On the other hand, defense attorney's aren't exactly to be held in high esteem when it comes to truth-finding.

HH[/quote']

Sadder yet, we have probably executed innocent people.

Not probably. We have. Many times.

I suspect a lot of those convicted that were innocent did not have the means to provide proper legal defense for themselves.

The sad state of affairs is a lot of money can be made in arresting somebody. When we did away with our mining and manufacturing base, we are now left with making money by other questionable means.