Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Obama to cut healthcare benefits for active duty and retired US military

The Obama administration’s proposed defense budget calls for military families and retirees to pay sharply more for their healthcare, while leaving unionized civilian defense workers’ benefits untouched.

The proposal is causing a major rift within the Pentagon, according to U.S. officials. Several congressional aides suggested the move is designed to increase the enrollment in Obamacare’s state-run insurance exchanges.

The disparity in treatment between civilian and uniformed personnel is causing a backlash within the military that could undermine recruitment and retention.

The proposed increases in health care payments by service members, which must be approved by Congress, are part of the Pentagon’s $487 billion cut in spending. It seeks to save $1.8 billion from the Tricare medical system in the fiscal 2013 budget, and $12.9 billion by 2017.

Many in Congress are opposing the proposed changes, which would require the passage of new legislation before being put in place.

“We shouldn’t ask our military to pay our bills when we aren’t willing to impose a similar hardship on the rest of the population,†Rep. Howard “Buck†McKeon, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee and a Republican from California, said in a statement to the Washington Free Beacon. “We can’t keep asking those who have given so much to give that much more.â€

Administration officials told Congress that one goal of the increased fees is to force military retirees to reduce their involvement in Tricare and eventually opt out of the program in favor of alternatives established by the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare.

“When they talked to us, they did mention the option of healthcare exchanges under Obamacare. So it’s in their mind,†said a congressional aide involved in the issue.

Guess what folks won't be voting for Obie.

I'd distinguish between combat veterans and the rest of the military. Combat veterans deserve greater benefits than they receive now. The rest should use the military to acquire skills that they can use in civilian life and make a short "career" in the military. In the future, government employment does not guarantee retirement/health benefits after 20-30 years of service. The last time that I checked, it was a volunteer military service. That may be harsh but it will be a reality in life from now on. Preparing for your retirement falls squarely on every American's shoulders. The sooner everyone realises this, the better.

I'd distinguish between combat veterans and the rest of the military. Combat veterans deserve greater benefits than they receive now. The rest should use the military to acquire skills that they can use in civilian life and make a short "career" in the military. In the future, government employment does not guarantee retirement/health benefits after 20-30 years of service. The last time that I checked, it was a volunteer military service. That may be harsh but it will be a reality in life from now on. Preparing for your retirement falls squarely on every American's shoulders. The sooner everyone realises this, the better.

Civilian contractors don't get VA benefits unless they were in the military.

The article is like comparing oranges to apples.

<< The last time that I checked, it was a volunteer military service. That may be harsh but it will be a reality in life from now on. >>

Thanks to a very callous decision by the US Congress, who adopted for a system of an all volunteer military which guaranteed that their own children and grandchildren would never have to risk their lives in the often questionable wars that Federal government gets the country into.

As to VA benefits, give me a break. We (meaning combat vets) get treated like unwanted relatives by VA. I don't know a vet who hasn't had more negative than positive experiences with them.

Fair point Dean.

I don't mind people joining the military to get money for college, get trained, etc. and they have no intention of making a career out of it. No problem with me. However, they must realize that fighting in a war is a possibility. What I didn't like during both wars were the attitudes of some that basically said 'i didn't sign up for this'. More use of being dishonorably discharged should be applied to some of them.

Anyway, I'd love to see combat vets well taken care of.

The follow up to Santorum's comment by the President was that a HS diploma isn't enough in this day and age, not just college but some sort of post HS training even its vocational, apprenticship, certification, etc. Hard to argue with that. The world has changed. I'm no big fan of either party, just try and support what makes sense. Also, the comment that college changes students to some sort of ideology goes out the window since millions of people who are both conservative and liberal went to college, often the same school. Your ideology is a sum of your life experience, logic, reasoning, etc. not just the 4 years from 18-21 in college.

Everyone seems to be missing a very important point. When you enter the Army, you sign a contract. You will get agreed upon benefits during your service, plus agreed upon benefits if you retire. They are specified in writing. Congress - and now the Prez - seem to have no reluctance in changing those benefits, contract or not. Your contract becomes a worthless piece of paper, whenever the politicians feel like changing the terms.

Everyone seems to be missing a very important point. When you enter the Army, you sign a contract. You will get agreed upon benefits during your service, plus agreed upon benefits if you retire. They are specified in writing. Congress - and now the Prez - seem to have no reluctance in changing those benefits, contract or not. Your contract becomes a worthless piece of paper, whenever the politicians feel like changing the terms.

Sadly, no surprise. Notice how Congress never seems to have any of their benefits cut? Its both parties as well that cut military benefits, etc.

Hard to see why the military is chosen for cuts. I know the budget is bloated but the soldier related things shouldn't be on the table for cuts.