Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

That is what the trial will be all about. Is Zimmerman's story of events believable or not? The defence has to prove it is, the prosecution that it isn't. Unfortunately, although several witnesses heard the fight or even saw part of it,  no one has said they observed what went on before it. It is going to come down to which version the jury chooses to believe.  

Breast cancer survivor handcuffed and thrown in jail over a mistaken $280 medical bill

A breast cancer survivor who was sent to prison over a mistaken $280 medical bill has highlighted the return of debtor’s prisons in the U.S.

Illinois resident Lisa Lindsay had received the medical bill in error and was told she did not have to pay up.

However, the bill was turned over to a collection agency and state troopers arrived at her home and took her away in handcuffs.

dailymail.co.uk

Collection agencies as well and the people who provide loans (banks, etc.) have had increasingly more leverage over debtors. Its a fact that collection agencies have used either immoral, unethical as well as illegal means to get funds because they don't get paid until the debtor pays.

The consumer doesn't have a voice at the legislature but the collection agency lobby as well as the banks do and hence strong arm tactis are now legal.

America is f*cked. We litterally live in fear of all manner of authorities. In this day and age you are guilty first even if there is a mistake and you have to sort it out later. Your credit or even your freedom are at mercy in the case of mistakes. And some of you still think you live in a free and fair Republic....HAHAHAHAHAHA

As far as the Zimmerman case, his view of the order of events doesn't make sense. If Martin had some sort of violent history, maybe. But with the facts I know, I wouldn't believe his order of events. Doesn't make logical sense to me at least. He'll need more concrete facts for me to be swayed.

It has been true for ages that better educated and intelligent people usually find a way to get out of jury duty. A lawyer friend told me that do their best to influence jury selection, challenging any they suspect might be hostile to their side. One never knows what will happend in a jury trial, once the smoke and mirrors get going.

The consumer doesn't have a voice at the legislature but the collection agency lobby as well as the banks do and hence strong arm tactis are now legal.

Steve...not sure where you got your info, but it is wrong. Plenty of protections now for those who owe money. Coincidently, an article addressing this subject was printed today in the Sacramento Bee. Both FEDERAL and STATE statutes provide penalties for abuse. http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/22/4432940/debtors-seethe-sue-over-collector.html

HH

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/22/jon-huntsman-gop_n_1444529.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=321726,b=facebook

Jon Huntsman Criticizes Republican Party, Compares Actions To Communist China

Huntsman spoke candidly about his party's flaws, lamenting the Republican National Committee's decision to rescind an invitation to a major fundraising event after Huntsman called for a third-party candidate to enter the race.

"This is what they do in China on party matters if you talk off script," Huntsman said.

Huntsman, a former Utah governor who dropped out of the GOP primary in January, served as U.S. ambassador to China under President Barack Obama.

He also criticized the Republican candidates' foreign policy stances, particularly in regard to China.

"I don’t know what world these people are living in," Huntsman said.

Although Huntsman did not mention any specific candidates, he has criticized Mitt Romney in the past for his "wrong-headed" approach. Huntsman, who endorsed Romney after dropping out of the race, said in February that the former Massachusetts governor should take a more opportunity-minded view to relations with China.

Huntsman also spoke on Sunday about his presidential candidacy, revealing that he was less than impressed by his fellow candidates when he attended his first debate in August.

"Is this the best we could do?" Huntsman said he asked himself.

He also joked that his wife forbade him to pander to the party's far-right contingency ahead of Iowa's caucuses, which likely hurt him with conservative voters in the Hawkeye State.

“She said if you pandered, if you sign any of those damn pledges, I’ll leave you,†Huntsman said. "So I had to say I believe in science -- and people on stage look at you quizzically as though you're ... an oddball."

To lighten up a bit,,,

A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost. She lowered her

altitude and spotted a man in a boat below. She shouted to him,

"Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him

an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man consulted his portable GPS and replied, "You're in a hot air

balloon, approximately 30 feet above ground elevation of 2,346 feet

above sea level. You are at 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude

and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude.

She rolled her eyes and said, "You must be a Republican.

"I am," replied the man. "How did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically

correct. But I have no idea what to do with your information, and I'm

still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help to me."

The man smiled and responded, "You must be an Obama-Democrat."

"I am," replied the balloonist. "How did you know?"

"Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are -- or where you

are going.

You've risen to where you are, due to a large quantity of hot air. You

made a promise you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to

solve your problem. You're in exactly the same position you were in

before we met, but somehow, now it's my fault."