Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Good old USA ... :(

Unarmed ex-football player had just got ENGAGED and was working two jobs when he was shot dead by police at upscale community as he 'sought help after crash'

An unarmed man had just got engaged and was working two jobs when he was shot dead by police at an upscale North Carolina community that has four tennis courts, two swimming pools and a clubhouse.

After crashing his car, Jonathon Ferrell climbed out the back window and made his way to Bradfield Farm, where he knocked on a door of a woman who then called police. When they arrived, one officer fired multiple shots at the 24-year-old college football player, killing him.

On Sunday, his friends and family described Ferrell, who had no criminal record, as a 'good guy' and strong athlete who wasn't aggressive.

Ferrell recently became engaged and moved to Charlotte just months ago where he was working two jobs - at Dillard's and Best Buy.

'He wasn't really the aggressive type,' former teammate Gregory Boler said of Ferrell, who grew up in Tallahassee. 'He was a good guy, easy to talk to. ... He just liked to be around his friends.'

He added that e was surprised to hear his pal may have been in a confrontation with police.

'It just didn't sound like him,' Boler told the Charlotte Observer. 'He's not that type at all.'

After climbing from the wreck of his car, Ferrell walked at least half a mile to the nearest home, which happened to be in the community of white two-story homes 17 miles east of Charlotte. New and resale houses are available in the $110,000 - $230,000 range in the 1000-home community.

Possibly traumatized, the ex- Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) football player had walked to the home of an unidentified woman after the crash on Saturday morning, and knocked on her door.

But when she did not recognize him, she slammed the door and called 911- before officer Randall Kerrick shot him dead as he reportedly ran towards him. Kerrick has been charged with voluntary manslaughter.

The homeowner initially opened the door thinking it was her husband, but then closed it and called 911 when she didn't recognize Mr Ferrell, according to reports.

Officers found the unarmed man, and one shot him when a Taser failed to stop him from approaching.

Within hours, investigators determined that the shooting had been excessive and charged the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer with voluntary manslaughter.

Ferrell played for FAMU in 2009 and 2010. Friends said Ferrell and his young brother Willie were especially close and the pair played on their high school and college football teams together.

The brothers were just 16 months apart and their father died when they were young.

'Don't know how much I miss u,' Willie Ferrell wrote to his older brother on Sunday. 'I never cried so much.'

In a 2010 story written about the brothers in the FAMU student newspaper, Ferrell talked about how much he enjoyed playing football with his brother.

'Playing football with him again feels like it did in high school, summer nights you don’t want to end because they are so much fun,' he said. 'It's refreshing to come in the locker room and have your best friend to laugh with.'

FAMU Interim Athletic Director Michael Smith said Ferrell played the safety position for the school's football team during the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

'Our hearts and prayers go out to his family during their time of bereavement,' Smith said.

Ferrell's high school coach, Ira Reynolds, told the Tallahassee Democrat the young man's death was a tragedy.

'To lose him that way is incredibly difficult to deal with for anyone,' Reynolds said.

'He practiced hard and played hard. He didn't talk very much, but when he said something, it spoke volumes.'

A search of public records indicated that Ferrell began living in Charlotte early this year after moving from Tallahassee, Florida, home to FAMU.

Police initially called Ferrell and Kerrick's encounter 'appropriate and lawful.'

But in their statement late Saturday, they said 'the investigation showed that the subsequent shooting of Mr Ferrell was excessive' and 'Kerrick did not have a lawful right to discharge his weapon during this encounter.'

Police said Kerrick was charged with voluntary manslaughter, which under North Carolina law involves killing without malice using 'excessive force' in exercising 'imperfect self-defense.'

Kerrick, 27, of Midland, turned himself in for booking Saturday evening and was released on $50,000 bond, according to the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office website.

Kerrick joined the police force in April 2011. He has a first appearance court hearing scheduled for Monday.

Police Chief Rodney Monroe described the auto accident in a news conference: Ferrell was driving a vehicle that crashed into trees off a northeast Charlotte road early Saturday, and the wreck was so severe he would have had to climb out of the back window to escape.

Monroe said he didn't know what caused the crash and didn't say whether Ferrell suffered injuries.

Ferrell apparently walked about a half-mile to the nearest house and was 'banging on the door viciously' to attract attention, Monroe said. The female homeowner called police about 2:30 a.m.

Monroe said he didn't think the unarmed Ferrell made threats or tried to rob the woman.

http://www.dailymail...-community.html

Note: "New and resale houses are available in the $110,000 - $230,000 range in the 1000-home community." That is very much not upscale these days.

Seems a bit odd.

No cell phone?

Alcohol?

Or was the victim injured in some way?

Too many gun happy people with too many guns. Shoot first ask questions later.

Police - at least in my area - go through extensive training.

But every one I have met appears like a robot. I don't even like to speak to any even at the coffee shop. They always seem to be sizing one up. Looking for something. It appears from behavior of these Barney Fife types - that all folks are guilty until proven innocent. Guilty of what I don't know.

We just got the license plate scanners. Federal grant. "Free" money. Now all drivers are constantly being scanned and that information is held forever. They know where you are and where you have been. Just think of the implications of this. Each state, each city and town - all have license plate scanners. Combined the authorities know where you have been at all times. And records are kept forever.

As I have stated before. In my little hick town in the hill and mountain country - all police cars have a military style fully automatic M-16 inside police car above driver. We have no crime in this town. Most of the roads are rural and curved. More then half the roads are dirt roads. Yet we have high speed pursuit patrol cars.

We have two SWAT teams. State and local. All seem to be anxious for that great big "shoot out". That never comes.

The bottom line is that the training for police officers needs to be re-examined.

The city police have very little respect in my "home of record". However, the sheriff's deputies are well liked and respected. A friend's son was a video cameraman for a local TV station. He was filming an incident one day when the police were chasing a suspect wanted for murder. One of the cops ran the guy down, who finally raised his hands in surrender. The stocky cop holstered his revolver, walked up to the fugitive and decked him with a sucker punch. Unfortunately, it was a white cop striking a black suspect. The cameraman told me he was so surprised that he almost dropped his camera. But he turned in the unedited tape to his station, where the news editor hemmed and hawed over whether to release it. The news editor waited so long that it went on the evening news automatically. This was a few years after Rodney King, and it was picked up and shown nationwide. It was nowhere near the Rodney King level - just one punch and it was over, but you'd think it was from the national reaction.

The next day, the cameraman began getting phone call threats from the local police! Many threats - plus they tailed him around night and day just to remind him. However, the sheriffs' deputy called the cameraman and told him not to worry. They said they had him covered. This went on for months, until a court exonerated the officer who punched up the perp. The cameraman soon found work in another state and was happy to say good bye to the town he was born and raised in. Really nice when the sheriff's department has to protect people from the police.

More.

Was at local coffee shop. New young local police officer.

I viewed his belt.

There is more "stuff" on that belt.

And.

The new officer carries two hand guns. One on each side of belt. Two hand guns.

Two hand guns standard carry now?

Rarely does anything happen in this small rural town. And if so it is minor.

All viewed what came out of the woodwork during the Boston Marathon issue.

We have a city about an hour from me of 34,000 population. Just got a federal grant of US $260,000 for a tactical armoured tank (technically not a tank as it has tires). "Free" money. This will be in addition to the current one already have. None have been used except for parades.

Where does this "free" money come from. Specially in these tough times.

On another note.

As I have stated before. We have regional SWAT teams. All local Barney Fife towns combine for this.

About 5 years ago. They were called up. A late saturday night/early sunday morning. Dark.

There was a warrant out for some young lad. Rumor had it that this young lad was in this rural home.

SWAT surrounded home in wooded area. In the dark. SWAT busted in door. Raised family of four from sleep. Two adults - husband/wife and two teenage children. Forced in pajamas to lay on floor face down, arms behind back, wrists strapped, while home was searched.

Outside a gun fight erupted. One police officer shot.

The only ones outside were police officers.

Suspect was not found. Suspect was not at this home.

One police officer shot another police officer.

As I stated above. It might be time for more training for police officers.

• Like 1

I don't remember if I posted the news about a man being rejected for a police force because he scored too highly on the written exams. His score was the equivalent of an IQ of 115 and they didn't want anyone that smart. They told him that intelligent people would get bored with routine police work and quit, so they only wanted thickies who would stay.

I knew a VN vet who became a cop because that was the only job that gave him credit for his infantry service in RVN. After he retired, he worked for 5 years as police chief of a small city. He said every day he worried about 23 young guys going out with pistols on their hips and wondering what kind of dumb stunt one of them would do next.

Again, too many guns. Too many nuts with guns. Too easy to get guns.

For all of my 2nd Amendments friends - Time for some legislation !

By Richard Simon, David S. Cloud and Brian BennettThis post has been corrected. See below for details.

September 16, 2013, 12:47 p.m.

"WASHINGTON — District of Columbia police say they are no longer looking for other gunmen in the mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday morning, indicating that the 11 victims of the attack were all killed by a single shooter."

LINK

"At least 12 people are dead and others were wounded after a shooter opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday, police said, spreading fear and chaos across the region as authorities tried to contain the incident."