Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

One more thing. To the best of my knowledge and I will say I don't know for sure but at the founding of the country, NO ONE made issue of how you got to the country if you were born in the country (limited to white males, hence the amendment for birthright citizenship), so in theory, if your parents stowed away illegaly and entered the US when it was founded and you were the product of that union in America you were not only a citizen but elgible to becmoe President.

Again, I don't know for sure and stand corrected if someone knows for sure but I have no reason to believe otherwise from what I understand.

Edited by Guest

..one more thing..lol...so, if we accept this children of illegal thingy not being American then the 3rd and 4th generation of latinos who have entered illegally decades ago and are also not citizens? Sort of like the legal 'fruit of the poison tree' saying? In theory then someone who's grandparens were illegals 50, 60 years ago is now illegal? Would it also apply only to one parent? If someone had a baby with an illegal immigrant then the baby is illegal? Or not? Related to my first point, you have someone who is the offspring of illegals and they're adults, who have mortgage, kids, etc. They are not American?

slipery slope time.

Guest lazyphil

brits running off to oz because of johnny foreigner coming here on mass ('its not my country anymore' etc etc) just dont see the hypocracy, idiots!

Steve,

Well, maybe to some it is an Hispanic issue, but to me it is not. As long as they come in in a legal fashion I have no issues with their being in the country. I do truly believe immigration and the melting pot (supposedly, slowly, over time) is one of the things that does make the US a great place. And, over the past couple of centuries there were always certain immigrants that were considered more desirable than others (yes, some having to do with racism and anti-catholic and anti-semite sentiments in previous decades/centuries). There still are quotas in place I believe. At one point more recently I do believe, if my memory serves, they tried to 'even the playing field' and stopped giving so many visas to the Irish and Italians, and started giving more to other nationalities.

The thing is most all countries have quotas and limits for immigration. Most immigration policies these days are well thought out and planned and limited immigration is an intelligent way to go about it. Illegal immigrants are a severe burden to many countries in the world that people wish to immigrate to. Illegals stress the resources of many a western country and bring down the quality of life for all (except maybe the rich and/or those that take advantage of the illegals). I sympathize with their plight and their desire to make a better life for themselves.

But really, most illegals should stay in their country and try to change THEIR country for the better, by trying to fight the rampant corruption or repressive governments they are trying to flee from that cripples their own economies and takes away their personal freedoms. They need to fight to make their place and governments better and their lives and their childrens lives better, for a better future for them. The US and other countries that have this problem just cannot let in all the people wanting to go where the economy is better (or was better), and the freedoms of the people are more firmly established. It is unsustainable. No country can afford to leave this unchecked, and the US can no longer afford to let this continue unabated.

JMHO.

P.S. Hell, I think there should be a moratorium on all immigration as long as the states has so many people unemployed and underemployed.

Edited by Guest

..one more thing..lol...so, if we accept this children of illegal thingy not being American then the 3rd and 4th generation of latinos who have entered illegally decades ago and are also not citizens? Sort of like the legal 'fruit of the poison tree' saying? In theory then someone who's grandparens were illegals 50, 60 years ago is now illegal? Would it also apply only to one parent? If someone had a baby with an illegal immigrant then the baby is illegal? Or not? Related to my first point, you have someone who is the offspring of illegals and they're adults, who have mortgage, kids, etc. They are not American?

slipery slope time.

55555. Well, those children of the illegals from previous administrations and from years gone by would have grandfathered rights, and as said, once born on US soil they were, and are, legal US citizens, but... laws can be changed, and are all the time if they are found to be no longer desirable or workable. No? :beer:

Oh, dear ... you are still off target.

Age and Citizenship requirements - US Constitution, Article II, Section 1:

"No person except a natural born citizen, [color:red]or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution,[/color] shall be eligible to the office of President."

p.s. I really hate to disagree with you, since you are one of the most thoughtful and always interesting posters on this board. But the archan in me just won't let me keep my mouth shut. :(

Ah, the one world, one government theory? Unworkable for the foreseeable future I think. As nice as it sounds, and I do feel it would be a wonderful thing if we were all one big happy world human family, all paying taxes to help our children have a bright future, no more wars over silly boundaries (much like this stupid horseshit the Thai Yellows are stirring up with Cambodia at the moment), free education at the lowest to highest levels for all, etc, etc. I just do not see this becoming even close to a reality in even my grandkids lifetimes.