Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

"For the first time, the most recent Bloomberg poll shows him edging ahead of Clinton among registered Democratic voters. Other national polls consistently show her once forbidding lead continuing to narrow. Sanders draws large and mostly enthusiastic crowds and continues to rouse young people across the country. His supporters are eager to fuel his campaign. He outraised Clinton dramatically in February — $43 million to $30 million, as his 2 million small donors contributed more than her deep-pocket investors. In fact, more than 70 percent of Clinton’s donations have come from large donors, who are maxing out in increasing numbers."

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2016/03/28/why-wont-sanders-quit-the-race-because-hes-winning/

• Like 1

Rhetoric turns bitter as Sanders hurts Clinton in Wisconsin and New York

It was meant to be a triumphant return. Introduced on stage by Congresswoman Nita Lowey as the audience’s neighbour and friend, Hillary Clinton was returning to the SUNY Purchase university campus — where she had announced her 2000 senate run — and ostensibly safe territory.

Then, 10 minutes into Mrs Clinton’s speech, the protest began. “If she wins, we lose!†two-dozen Bernie Sanders supporters chanted before walking out on the speech. Outside, dozens more Sanders supporters were waiting for them, fanning out across the auditorium entrance.

“As they’re leaving I want to say: I have earned 9m votes in this election. I have one million more votes than Donald Trump and I have two and-a-half million more votes than Bernie Sanders,†Mrs Clinton shouted over the ensuing din. “What I regret is they don’t want to listen to anybody else.â€

While Mr Trump’s comments on abortion this week might have been a unifying moment for Democrats, instead the rhetoric between the candidates has become increasingly sharp-tongued and ugly as polls show tight races in both Wisconsin and New York.

New polls from Public Policy Polling and Fox Business show Mr Sanders to be leading Mrs Clinton in Wisconsin. In New York, Mrs Clinton’s lead appears to be narrowing. A Quinnipiac University poll now shows Mrs Clinton to be only 12 points ahead of Mr Sanders in the state where she served eight years as senator. Previous polls had given Mrs Clinton a victory margin of over 20 points.

Mr Sanders still faces a near-insurmountable road to the nomination. To win, he would need to win virtually all the state contests that remain. Yet he has performed well over the past two weeks, beating Mrs Clinton in Idaho, Utah, Alaska, Hawaii and Washington. Ninety six delegates are at stake in Wisconsin, while 291 are up for grabs in New York.

At her event in Purchase, some in the crowd said they were struggling with whether to back Mrs Clinton in the primary, or even in a general election contest against Mr Trump, the Republican frontrunner.

“Do you vote for who you believe in and whose ideas you support, or do you vote for the person who you think will actually get things done? It’s a very difficult decision,†said Nicole Ehrhard, 19.

“Hillary flip-flops. She’s condescending,†said George Heynes, 21. While his parents’ generation might feel obliged to vote for the Democratic frontrunner to prevent the other party getting into office, he and his classmates did not. “People’s loyalties are to the country, not to the party.â€

The increasingly fraught atmosphere was evident from Mrs Clinton’s SUNY speech, where she spent nearly as much time criticising Mr Sanders on his healthcare, climate and free college policies, as she did lambasting the Mr Trump.

“We actually have to do something,†she said in a jab at Mr Sanders. “Not just complain about what is happening.â€

Throughout the day, she and the Sanders campaign traded barbs over Mrs Clinton’s position on the fossil fuel industry and Mr Sanders’ attitude on women’s rights.

When an activist from Greenpeace questioned Mrs Clinton over why she had accepted campaign donations from employees of fossil fuel companies, the Democratic front runner erupted. “I am so sick of the Sanders campaign lying about me. Sick of it,†she said, wagging a finger at the activist. :nono:

Mrs Clinton seized on a Sanders remark that the media should spend less time on “stupid, absurd†comments made by Mr Trump — including about punishing women for getting abortions — and more time on “the serious issues facing Americaâ€.

“To me [women’s rights] is a serious issue and it is a very serious discussion,†she said.

That remark riled supporters of Mr Sanders, 13,000 of whom gathered to hear the Vermont senator speak on Thursday night in a park in the south Bronx.

On stage, Rosario Dawson, an actress introducing Mr Sanders, relayed the incident as the audience booed. “Shame on you, Hillary,†she said.

“Yes, she is under FBI investigation, thank you,†Ms Dawson added, after prompting from a Sanders supporter. “That’s not being promoted very much, but she is about to be interviewed in a little bit.â€

In the diverse South Bronx crowd, which featured a large number of Hispanic and African American supporters, few said Mr Sanders’ remark the night before had changed their opinion of the Vermont senator.

Jamilla Hooker, who came to the rally with her partner Atikur Abdul, a bus driver and artist, and their 16 month-old daughter, said Mrs Clinton had taken Mr Sanders’ remark out of context. “Everyone who knows about Bernie’s political history over the past 40 years knows he’s all about women’s rights,†she said.

Mr Abdul said he would sit out the November general rather than vote for Mrs Clinton.

“If you rig the system and you tell us that’s who we’re supposed to vote for — that’s not democracy,†he said. “I’ve never been involved in politics this way before. I feel like I’m part of an honest movement.â€

https://next.ft.com/...db-fc683b5e52db