Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Didn't the military pay the NFL millions of dollars to include the players standing for the national anthem and have military personnel present the flag during the Afghanistan and Iraq war with the players standing there as a way to help recruitment because hardly anyone was volunteering to fight over there?

http://people.com/po...nment-payments/

...... on what they called the “paid patriotism,†saying the Department of Defense gave as much as $6.8 million in taxpayer money to professional sports teams to honor the military at games and events over the past four years. McCain criticized the move in a statement at the time, saying, “Fans should have confidence that their hometown heroes are being honored because of their honorable military service, not as a marketing ploy.â€

The whole American culture is a Marketing Ploy, when I visited all those years ago I was struck by the sheers number of American flags on virtually every house and building, as though everyone needed to be reminded where they were on a daily basis.

No, San Fran and I fulfilled a 'bucket list' dream and hired a Mustang and drove down to Monterey to the aquarium and the environs featured in 'Cannery Row". Great little road trip, enjoyed it immensely. But so many flags.

By way of comparison in NZ or even Australia, you can drive through a city and you might see one flag per suburb.

When I asked Old Hippy about the numerous American flags, he was of the opinion that they were of Americans who were proud of America. I can understand this and Folk in NZ and Australia are similarly proud, there's just a 'flag waving' behaviour we see in America, that is something we normally associate with marketing efforts and over the top behaviour.

Any hoo, I'm not setting out to insult Americans, we do know that America is the biggest in a lot of areas, Military might, economy, Orange skinned, yellow haired Presidents who have a wiff of urine about them etc etc

So on the world stage we don't really need to be force fed marketing around this.

And Donald Trump in his latest twits, has demonstrated a command of the English language that can only have stemmed from the 'valley girl' tones of his daughter Ivanka when she was a teen and Donald needed to learn the language of the people so he could talk to people in public without being ridiculed.

Highlights are mine

" We are totally prepared"

"That's called the military option. If we have to take it we will"

"All nations must act now to ensure the regime's complete denuclearization,"

"I mean I think we're really getting really good marks for the work we're doing,â€

"We've gotten A-pluses on Texas and on Florida."

a “tremendous†amount of supplies are flowing from the mainland United States to the “literally destroyed†island.

Kim Jong-Un is 'acting very badly,'

Donald Trump, who got FIVE draft deferments from Vietnam & attacked a war hero & Gold Star Fam has thoughts on those who died for the flag. - Joy Reid