Kuala Lumpur

BritTim

I am planning to be in KL for a couple of nights mid December. It has been a long time since I was there. Can anyone here suggest

• Reasonably priced hotels (guest friendly a plus, but I probably will not indulge so not critical)?
  • Interesting night life options?
  • Anything else that might be fun?

My evenings and part of the day will be free, and I would like to make the most of the visit.

Thanks!

Nightlife in KL isn't cheap, but there are some good spots.

Beach Club is a good spot, as is "Thai Club" directly across the road from it (which isn't really Thai at all - it's just a name).

Beach Club has freelancers (not cheap!) if you do wish to partake.

Most hotels in KL in my experience are guest friendly - I've never had a problem.

Swiss Garden is a good hotel in a decent enough area, and also check out the Royal Bintang, Istana and Dorset Regency. Have stayed in them all and all are ok - KL accommodation is a bargain.

Probably a lot more upmarket nightlife venues these days as KL gets more sophisticated by the day. Some other members might have been there recently.

Go to the night market in Petaling Street for cheap copy stuff and DVD's - haggle really hard and be careful of pickpockets.

KLCC Suria under the Petronas Twin towers is a lovely shopping centre.

Rather than go up the Petronas Towers (where you can only go up to the Sky Bridge on level 43), go to Menara KL (the "building on the stick") for a much better view.

Finally, Batu Caves are an interesting day trip, but lots of steps and watch the monkeys there - they're quite aggressive.

If you have a whole spare day, a day-trip to Melaka is a really nice side-trip.

Hope this helps.

I prefer the more upscale areas: Damansara, Bangsar Baru or Ampang for instance. Many, many little music clubs and restaurants scattered about there. Bangsar is more dense, so easier to try more than a few places on foot.

Or of course, I've spent many lovely nights at The Dog aka the Royal Selangor Club (but you'd need to have a member get you in). It is one of the last vestiges of British colonialism left in Asia methinks. Hell, the women cannot even go to the bar, they have to wait outside on the veranda and you bring them drinks. Sounds silly, but a fun "way-back machine" ride and fascinating history all over the place in there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived