Sukhumvit nightlife zones closed for election

Faustian

Don't know what means to those going out in the naughty areas, but....found this elsewhere and I thought I'd pass it along..

http://www.personalthailand.com/threads/2747-Sukhumvit-closing-down-all-nightlife-for-the-weekend

Sukhumvit closing down all nightlife for the weekend

This might come as a shock to all people and party planners but Sukhumvit is closing all nightlife for this weekend. Sukhumvit will be closed down so that people in the area can hold a election and not go out and drink the day before. It is pretty normal for the Police to close down like this but they have no warnings in advance, at least not for the general public.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bed Supper Club

http://twitter.com/bedsupperclub

# our restaurant, however, will be open as usual, sans alcohol. King Kong climbs buildings stone sober. 02 651 3537 for reservations. 17 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# in preparation for next weekend's elections, we have been asked to not serve alcohol on Friday or Saturday this weekend. 20 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Don't know what means to those going out in the naughty areas, but....found this elsewhere and I thought I'd pass it along..

http://www.personalthailand.com/threads/2747-Sukhumvit-closing-down-all-nightlife-for-the-weekend

Sukhumvit closing down all nightlife for the weekend

This might come as a shock to all people and party planners but Sukhumvit is closing all nightlife for this weekend. Sukhumvit will be closed down so that people in the area can hold a election and not go out and drink the day before. It is pretty normal for the Police to close down like this but they have no warnings in advance, at least not for the general public.

I highly doubt they are holding an election on the King's Birthday (Sunday) or the day set aside to celebrate it (Monday) since it falls on a weekend...

I live here and I wasn't aware there's an election. If it's true, just stoll down Soi Cowboy and BGs will be outside the bars eager to grab an LT. Plus the Nana car park will be packed even more than usual.

p.s. I see nothing in the Bangkok Post about any election. Found this though ... special election in some districts (but not mine) :

<< Read the following news alert about alcohol sales in Bangkok during December 2010:

“Due to the pre-vote and the upcoming by election, the sale of alcohol will be banned from [color:red]Dec 3-5 and Dec 11-12[/color] in the following areas: Bang Kor Laem, Silom, Sathorn, Klong Toei, Yannawa and Wattana. That means clubs, bars and beer gardens in those neighborhoods will also be closed during those periods. “

But fear not juice hounds - most western hotels and establishments will allow you to drink inside. If you want take away, you could be in trouble. >>

Link

If I remember right, Nana and Patpong are both in Lumpini district, which is not affected. Soi Cowboy will be.

Archived