Sukhumvit nightlife zones closed for election

Faustian

"in the following areas: Bang Kor Laem, Silom, Sathorn, Klong Toei, Yannawa and Wattana. That means clubs, bars and beer gardens in those neighborhoods will also be closed during those periods."

There are 50 districts in Thailand. Does that means bars in the other 43 are open? If so, how could this possibly stop a local from getting a drink during the election period?

It will only make things difficult for a tourist who is unfamiliar with Bangkok. This policy makes no sense, but that doesn't seem to matter in Thailand.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might want to ask around. A couple of years ago, when this happened, Soi Cowboy closed, but NEP and Soi 7 Beer Garden stayed open and only served non-alcoholic beverages.

I had a good time that night. Anyone who can't have a good time in Bangkok without alcohol has a SERIOUS drinking problem.

Report from the ground: as I suspected, all places were serving on Sunday night, though they did the old "pour the bottle of beer into a class and conceal the glass in a beer bottle condom" trick. Also pay up front.

This was the norm at all the soi 4 places (I went out at 4:30 pm), though with varying degrees of integrity: for example, Strikers was pouring only enough beer out of a bottle to fill a medium-sized glass, yet still charging their usual price (65 baht)...the new (and very impressive) Bar 4, however, was much more on the up-and-up, serving two glasses containing the entire contents of a bottle (also for 65 baht).

By the time I got to Cowboy (8 pm), everyone was serving out in the open, no attempts at concealment.

I am on Q Bar's SMS list (even though I haven't been there in years), and I am pretty sure I got an SMS on election day promoting an event that night.

That's the problem with Thailand's overly restrictive laws: they are so restrictive that no one takes them seriously. They are simply opportunities for the authorities to collect 'rent'.

Archived