Kopi Luwak

Coss

I've just been given a small package of Kopi Luwak, or as MiWiMee calls it, Poo Coffee.

Kopi luwak (Malay pronunciation: [ˈkopi ˈlu.aÊâ€]), or civet coffee, is coffee made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) and other related civets, then passed through its digestive tract.[1] A civet eats the berries for their fleshy pulp. In its stomach, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. Passing through a civet's intestines the beans are then defecated, keeping their shape. After gathering, thorough washing, sun drying, light roasting and brewing, these beans yield an aromatic coffee with much less bitterness, widely noted as the most expensive coffee in the world.

And I have to say, this is delicious! Much less bitter and almost chocolate-like in flavour.

Wink

Yes - it's a nice flavour. They have a same thing in Vietnam but using (I think) a slightly different animal - more of a weasel.

However, Cossy... how did they get it into NZ?

I know this stuff isn't allowed to be brought into Oz because of the quarantine laws, and with Middle Earth being just as strict, I'm amazed it was allowed in. :hmmm:

Unless they were naughty and snuck it in - which isn't good. Lots of animal fecal matter potentially still on the beans!! :spank::nono:

Got some from the PI and it's pretty good. Don't disclose what it is before serving it.

What's it called in the PI? Going there Sunday and will pick some up.

BTW, jungle drums have Miss Banzai coming back to home base to be a dek serve? :dunno: I was just told that by some chick I don't know when I was walking by this week :dunno:

I ran into Bladders & Twin the same day. They look the same as forever, right down to Bladders' gingham apparel. Not sure if any of this is related, but it is late (or early). Damn these dry days LOL!

What's it called in the PI? Going there Sunday and will pick some up.

Generic name is Cafe Alamid (can't see a particular brand name on this package). Probably many different brands (mostly coming from Tagaytay) and I'm sure it's widely available in the city.

Thanks for the updates. Should you see Miss B., please give her my regards and tell her I haven't been in town since I last saw her, and I'm not expecting to be back anytime soon. :(

Yes - it's a nice flavour. They have a same thing in Vietnam but using (I think) a slightly different animal - more of a weasel.

However, Cossy... how did they get it into NZ?

I know this stuff isn't allowed to be brought into Oz because of the quarantine laws, and with Middle Earth being just as strict, I'm amazed it was allowed in. :hmmm:

Unless they were naughty and snuck it in - which isn't good. Lots of animal fecal matter potentially still on the beans!! :spank::nono:

Just a pack of beans, so ordinary roasted beans to the customs freaks...

'Cat poop coffee' comes to Calgary

By DAVE DORMER,

Calgary Sun

The Bean Stop in Eau Claire Market is set to start serving Kopi Luwak  better known as cat poop coffee  on Tuesday, one of the most unique blends available anywhere on the planet.

“This will appeal to two groups of people,†said owner Ken Cutler.

“Coffee connoisseurs and there’s probably a group of people who will have a cup just say they had a cup.

“It’s such an unusual, odd and unique product.â€Â

Produced in the Doi Chang region of northern Thailand, Kopi Luwak is made when the common palm civet  a small, tree-dweller Cutler said is closer to a raccoon than a cat  eats coffee cherries.

Once passed through the animal’s digestive system, workers pick the seeds out  by hand  and they are processed.

The end result is what Cutler describes as one of the most unique blends of java you can find.

“It’s very smooth,†he said.

“It’s got both a fruity and an earthiness, it’s almost got a natural sweetness to it which is very unusual.†And this kind of coffeedoesn’t come cheap.

A single cup will set you back $25 (including tax) while a 50 gram tin will sell for $60.

Despite the high price, Cutler said they’ve already taken orders for 25 cups and have pre-sold 11 tins.

“It’s a very exclusive-type product,†he said.

Just finding Kopi Luwak is tough. “My understanding is there is only 1,000 kg produced each year so the supply is obviously very, very limited,†said Cutler.

“I’ve been able to obtain 4 1/2 pounds, which will translate into about 125 cups.â€Â

Canucks are crazy too. :D

Archived