Netsim for Village

DocThai

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless you want to spend more than you should, iPSTAR isn't worth it, a good connection to do video etc will be 4000 upwards at least. Anything cheaper the contention ratio isn't good enough for video chat.

If you mentioned video I would never have suggested GPRS/EDGE connection - note above I do say I use skype for chat only,

Until they run DSL out your village way your stuck with internet that's good enough to download email/pictures, and some "heavier" stuff like youtube files that you set to the lowest resolution. You won't be able with the current status in Thailand do much more than that.

Not much else you can do.

I have figured that out. Are you able to do audio chat with Skype or only text?

I reminded her that the computer is more for her future, to get more informed, to learn English etc. I am actually amazed at how well netbooks as cheap as 7,000 baht are plenty for what most people need in a computer, while mobile phones just continue to climb in price!

Forget ipstar, why hasn't anyone mentioned the government run CAT CDMA yet? Unlimited 3G for about 800THB a month. can do torrents, skype etc albeit slower than ADSL. AIS/DTAC is limited to EDGE speeds in the sticks for time being.

I used it a lot last yr in north. Central areas and Bangkok don't have coverage, only north, north east and south Thailand.

Archived