Netsim for Village

DocThai

Bought a netbook for stepdaughter just starting high school but there is no phoneline for internet.

Looking for suggestions on the best netsim packages under 500 a month (AIS, DTAC?)Will I also need to install software on the netbook like nokia pc suite etc for her to use phone as a modem. She has an unbranded phone now so not sure how it would connect. Maybe best to buy a second-hand phone with dedicated netsim. I want the msot simple way for her to connect.

Also, with windows 7 is it simple for her to switch between Thai and English?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am using a net book to reply to you now.

Windows 7 is very good, switching is easy

I'd advice against the dongle net sim, but use a phone. The Dongle doesn't have as strong an antenna as a phone. The Phone reception is better. DC uses a dongle, but it doesn't always work for me.

The dongle is about 1200Baht, for the same money you can get a nokia that can do the nokia suite thing.

Use the OLDER version of Nokia suites not the new one they are pushing called "Ovi"

Package I am on is 650 baht I think for unlimited access,

You need to balance what you do, I use Skype chat, but turn off my browser, I can use torrents, VERY slowly, but again don't have it running if you want to skype or use a browser.

Make sure you turn off automatic downloads, that can waste hours when Windows decides you must have a 100 mg patch!

Turn off all automatic updates, Windows, Adobe, Sun, Virus. Download when you have time or over night.

Get a 6 cell netbook, battery life is amazing,

AIS - I'd definitely recommend AIS before DTAC for rural areas, THOUGH up near Seka one village can't get AIS but DTAC but that is very rare!

AIS has a very good promotion, all calls to other AIS numbers are free from 6 am to 5pm for 200 baht a month, I always do this as most of my friends and family as well as work people are on AIS.

Check with other people in the village if AIS or DTAC has a stronger signal, they will know.

I prefer the phone over a dongle route, I now have both, the dongle useless in poor reception areas, a 1500 baht phone can be used as a phone and as a modem.

Looks like the Nokia 2700 will work as a modem. It is 2,600 new so I should be able to find one for 1,500 used. AIS has a plan 399 baht for 200 hours. That's plenty (7 hours daily) as long as she remembers to disconnect each time!

Can I apply for the netsim at any AIS shop? Will they need my work permit etc?

I will load the Thai version of Nokia PC suite if I can figure it out!

If you use Nokia PC suite (I think there is not at Thai version), it is very easy, like a one icon press to make a connection. In fact I think they call it OTA, or one touch access!

Really the best way. Avoid OVI, as others have said. That just seems to fuck shit up, both on the PC & the phone. Use the OLD Nokia PC suite. If you cannot it, post here and one of us will send a link to you!

BTW, PM me. Long time no talk!

Archived