Movie: Same Same but Different

kamui

"Same Same but Different"

6VjZSx6bjqk

It's a very well made movie based on a real story: A German backpacker goes to PP, falls in love with a BG, starts to support her, learns that she has Aids...

The story is surprisingly honest and without any Kitsch. Great actors. By the way the BG is played by the Thai actress Apinya Sakuljaroensuk.

Actually it is the first movie which IMHO really catches the atmosphere of PP of around 2002-2005 (when it was more wilde than today) as experienced by Western visitors.

The main bar in the movie is idealized version of the "Heart of Darkness", just much better and more wilde.

i1h3SXrRCMo

The story had been first told in a German magazine - with portrait photographs by Nick Nostitz.

The movie just became available on DVD (but not at Amazon.com yet)

I saw it yesterday. I have only seen a german spoken edition with german subtitles for the khmer spoken parts on usenet, but that is no problem for me.

I liked the film, I didn't think the film was all that interesting in the sense that most of us here have gone through the falling for a BG routine, so there was nothing new for me in it. It did seem an honest film though without being judgemental, I liked that part.

Movie seems to have been out for quite a while....over a year maybe? Yep...not available on Amazon, which is usually a good source.

Downloaded from usenet, but only in German language that I could find. Any English versions around? Sub-titles would be ok. I often rent Euro films with subtitles. Lots of good flicks made in Europe.

Probably not a commercial success for a number of reasons, but from what I could tell, the acting was not bad and the photography was good. Story, from the synopsis provided here, really wouldn't grab the average movie-goer. In fact, if the story was about a hooker in Peru, I doubt if anybody here would even download the movie.

HH

Archived