Scotland Thread

The_Munchmaster

I'd sure as hell rather watch it than "synchronised swimming". :p

[/quote.

2 sisters i knew were barmaids in my local at the time and both represented GB at that certain sport.

not that good as they never got anywhere near the medal positions but what figures they had............ :hubbahubba:

i always went into the pub when i knew one or each was working.just to drool over them,along with other men.

just a shame they never fancied older men.......... :shakehead

Two-time world champion Jocky Wilson dies aged 62

Before John Lowe hit the first ever 9 dart finish on TV their was only one man who looked like achieving this historical moment in darts and that was one John Thomas Wilson. After going close the year before (1982 World Champs) just missing the treble 19 and again in his Quarter Final against Cliff Lazarenko, Wilson at the peak of his power's goes all out to make history.

Jocky Wilson V Keith Deller Embassy World Semi Final 1983

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYAatoDZalo

Donovan, the "Scottish Bob Dylan," will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of fame in 2012. I've heard him twice this week on radio interviews and he doesn't have much of a Scottish accent. I guess moving to London from Glasgow when you are ten will do that. He had a career that lasted 5-6 years and then dropped off the earth until he started recording in 2003 again. I guess he must not need the money because I haven't heard of him touring in the last 8-9 years. If Sheena Easton ever gets elected to the Hall, I'll lose all respect for it.

As a Scot I'm ashamed to say that although I'd heard of him I knew absolutely nothing about him! :dunno:

From Wiki: "Donovan (born Donovan Philips Leitch (born 10 May 1946) is a Scottish singer-songwriter and guitarist. Emerging from the British folk scene, he developed an eclectic and distinctive style that blended folk, jazz, pop, psychedelia, and world music. He currently lives with his family in County Cork in Ireland.[1]

Donovan came to fame in the United Kingdom in early 1965 with a series of live performances on the pop TV series, Ready Steady Go!, and his popularity spread to the US and other countries. After signing with the British label Pye Records in 1965, he recorded a handful of singles and two albums in the folk music vein. After extricating himself from his original management contract, he began a long and successful collaboration with leading independent record producer Mickie Most, scoring a string of hits in the UK, the US, Australia and other countries. His successful records in the 1960s included the UK hits "Catch the Wind" and "Colours" in 1965, while "Sunshine Superman" topped the US Billboard Hot 100 chart the following year, and reached number two in Britain. Donovan was the first artist to be signed to CBS/Epic Records by then-new Administrative Vice President Clive Davis, who later became head of the CBS Record empire.

Donovan was one of the leading British recording artists of his day. He produced a series of hit albums and singles between 1965 and 1970.[2] He became a friend of leading pop musicians including Joan Baez, Brian Jones, and The Beatles. He influenced both John Lennon and Paul McCartney when he taught them his finger-picking guitar style in 1968.[3] Donovan's commercial fortunes waned after he parted ways with Mickie Most in 1969, and he left the music industry for a time.

He continued to perform and record sporadically in the 1970s and 1980s, but gradually fell from favour. His gentle musical style and hippie image was scorned by critics, especially after the advent of punk rock. Donovan withdrew from performing and recording several times during his career, but he underwent a revival in the 1990s with the emergence of the rave scene in Britain. Late in the decade, he recorded the 1996 album Sutras with producer and long-time fan Rick Rubin and in 2004 released a new album, Beat Cafe. Donovan was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX3AnhefltM

Snow warning for Scotland issued by Met Office

The Met Office has issued a yellow alert warning for snow across most of Scotland.

Forecasters said rain on Monday morning was expected to turn increasingly to snow throughout the day and into the night.

Accumulations of 5-10cm could be seen in some places, especially on the hills, with 2-5cm at lower levels.

A spokesman for the Met Office said the public should be aware of the risk of disruption to transport.

The yellow alert covers every region of Scotland except Orkney and Shetland. It is valid for noon on Monday until 06:00 on Tuesday.

However, the Met Office said coastal areas were likely to see only "patchy" snow.

A light dusting of snow was reported on the Northern Cairngorms over the weekend.

The return of wintry weather follows the mildest March ever recorded in Scotland.

Last Tuesday, the temperature in Aboyne, Aberdeenshire, reached 23.6C - the warmest March day on record.

The average daytime temperature for March is usually about 10C. :elf:

My link

Aboyne - from heat records to snow in a week

Seven days ago Aboyne was warmer than Barcelona, Nice and Faro.

Today the first signs of Spring have been smothered by snow more than six inches deep.

Daffodils and tulips are buried beneath a blanket of white, there are no sunbathers in the park and, in the fields, the lambs are huddling against their mothers for warmth and comfort.

It's hard to believe that a week ago the temperature here was 23.6C, a record for Scotland in March.

Last week, David Salway who has lived in Aboyne for six years, was "enjoying the sunshine, having a glass of beer in the garden and reading the paper".

It's all change today.

_59466655_aboyne.jpg

Last week Aboyne was hotter than Barcelona

"I looked out this morning and the garden chairs and the umbrella which we put out to enjoy last week are absolutely covered in snow. It's just incredible."

The people of Aberdeenshire shrug off a little snow but the wintry blast has caused some disruption.

The snow brought down power lines, cutting off 3,000 homes and blocking the road between Aboyne and Huntly.

It isn't exactly what the town's hoteliers had hoped for in the run-up to Easter.

Derek McCulloch who runs the Lodge on the Loch said he was used to dramatic changes in weather after 20 years on Royal Deeside.

"Last week we had our customers out on the deck, " he said.

"It was 24 degrees in the shade. 32 degrees was the temperature in the actual sunshine. But we all knew it wasn't going to last that long."

The guests don't seem to mind.

In the centre of Aboyne, two women on a bus trip from Blackpool are setting out for a walk, picking their way carefully across the park.

"The snow just makes it look very picturesque," says Geraldine Roach.

Her friend Marilyn Ormond admits this was not what they had expected.

"No. Certainly not." she says. "But it's beautiful."

seeing this on the news tonight and wether you believe the BBC or not they stated the skiing areas around Aviemore are closed because of too much snow........ :snowcool:

what's up with these people?.

moaning when there's too little snow and then moaning when too much... :shakehead

but i did walk up my local cornershop tonight and definately a nip in the air after the last week or two.