Scotland Thread

The_Munchmaster

Nine in ten Scots 'living off state's patronage'

Almost nine out of 10 Scottish households take more from the public purse than they contribute in taxes thanks to a “rotten system†of state patronage, the Tory party conference will hear on Monday.

Ruth Davidson, the Scottish Conservative leader, is to highlight official figures showing that only 283,080 households north of the border – 12 per cent of the total – pay more in tax than they receive in public services.

She will tell delegates that, because the public sector is seen as the key provider of everything from housing to employment, state spending now accounts for more than half Scotland’s wealth.

She will blame Alex Salmond, the SNP First Minister, and his Labour predecessors for nurturing a “corrosive sense of entitlement†among voters that has prevented her party making a comeback in Scotland.

Miss Davidson will argue this Left-wing “stranglehold†suits Labour and the SNP but has made it difficult for the Tories as so many voters are reliant on the public sector for their household income.

But the Nationalists described it as her “Mitt Romney momentâ€, in a reference to the Republican presidential candidate’s comments that 47 per cent of Americans pay no income tax and are dependent on the state.

According to the most recent figures, Scotland contributed 9.6 per cent of Britain’s tax take and accounted for 9.3 per cent of public spending.

Her strongly worded attack on state patronage follows David Cameron’s warning to the Scottish Tories last autumn that they had no excuse for their dismal election performances.

But Miss Davidson will tell the conference that Scotland’s “staggering†and “frightening†reliance on the public sector must be taken into account.

“The rotten system of patronage, which denies so many people real choices in their lives, has created a corrosive sense of entitlement which suits its political gang masters,†she will say. “Only 12 per cent are responsible for generating Scotland’s wealth. I wonder how many of them work on public sector contracts.â€

Referring to her party’s dismal election record, the Scottish Conservative leader will conclude: “If the gang master state is the only provider people can see for their housing, education and employment, it’s no surprise those who seek to break the stranglehold find barriers in their way.â€

Anyone who challenges the status quo is deemed an “enemy of the stateâ€, she will argue, before claiming this is the real reason some political commentators have written off the Scottish Tories.

She will argue that Labour and the SNP still blame her party for problems that are their responsibility, pointing out that the former has been in control of some of Glasgow’s most deprived areas for decades.

Miss Davidson supported her claims by publishing figures from the Office for National Statistics, which showed the average Scottish household consumes £14,151 more in public services every year than it pays in tax.

Even the families in the middle income groups consume around £20,000 more in state spending than they contribute.

However, those in the top 10 per cent pay £17,205 more in tax than they receive in public services.

Kenny Gibson, a Nationalist MSP, described it as Miss Davidson’s “Mitt Romney momentâ€. He added: “At least Mitt Romney only insulted around half of Americans, while Ruth Davidson believes almost 90 per cent of Scots do not 'contribute’ to society.â€

Miss Davidson will also tell English party colleagues that their support is required if the Unionist campaign is to win a decisive victory in the referendum on independence, something she will argue is necessary if the separatists are not to try to hold another vote soon.

My link

is Gleneagles a links course and on the coast?.

No it's an inland course in beautiful Perthshire.

the sort of course the americans don't like,they prefer the well manicured courses which don't have a lot of problems.

but the courses with the wind howling off the sea ruffles them.

Which explains why Americans have won The Open Championship, which is always played on links (seaside) courses, so many times?

Scottish independence: Cameron and Salmond to strike referendum deal

The battle lines for a vote on Scottish independence are being drawn with a referendum deal to be agreed by the prime minister and first minister.

David Cameron and Alex Salmond will sign an agreement between the UK and Scottish governments in Edinburgh.

_63490701_016234938-1.jpg

The deal will signal two years until a referendum on Scotland leaving the UK

It will pave the way for the referendum in autumn 2014, with a single Yes/No question on Scotland leaving the UK.

The deal will also allow see the voter age lowered, allowing 16 and 17-year-olds to take part in the ballot.

The UK government, which has responsibility over constitutional issues, is expected to grant limited powers for the Scottish Parliament to hold a legal referendum, under a mechanism called Section 30.

It is understood the deal will also commit both governments to working together constructively in the best interests of the people of Scotland, whatever the outcome of the referendum.

Mr Salmond said the agreement would mean a referendum "made in Scotland", while the prime minister said keeping the United Kingdom together was his number one priority.

The Electoral Commission watchdog will play a key role advising on the wording of the question and other issues such as campaign finance.

A possible second question on greater powers has been dropped, while the Scottish government looks to have secured its preferred date.

Speaking ahead of meeting, Mr Salmond said: "The agreement I expect to reach with the prime minister is one which ensures that not only is the referendum made in Scotland, but that the fundamental right of the people of Scotland to choose their own future is respected by all.

"The agreement will see Scotland take an important step toward independence, and the means to create a fairer and more prosperous Scotland. I look forward to working positively for a 'yes' vote in 2014."

The SNP secured a mandate to hold the referendum after winning an unprecedented majority in the Scottish Parliament election last year.

In a speech later, Mr Cameron will say: "This marks the beginning of an important chapter in Scotland's story and allows the real debate to begin.

"It paves the way so that the biggest question of all can be settled: a separate Scotland or a United Kingdom? I will be making a very positive argument for our United Kingdom.

"It is now up to the people of Scotland to make that historic decision."

The prime minister will also say: "The very future of Scotland depends on their verdict. It is that important.

"This agreement delivers the people's referendum."

The deal was negotiated between Scottish Secretary Michael Moore and Scotland's deputy first mminister, Nicola Sturgeon.

BBC Scotland political editor Brian Taylor said: "The real significance of today's agreement is this - the two leaders agree the rules for the referendum and, by implication, agree to respect and accept the outcome. Whatever it is."

I think that the reason that the UK Goverment is now allowing the refurrrendum is due to the fall in North Sea Oil revenues, by 2020 production will only be at a third of what it was during its peak. Around 2007 the UK had to import Oil & Gas again for the first time in over 40 years.

In the short term this will work OK for Scotland since they will be able to auction all rights to the sectors in their teratorial waters and take all revenue from O&G production but in the medium term of about 15 years from now I personally cannot see how it could generate enough revenue as an independent country.

Just my opinion from the line of work I am involved in.

In the short term this will work OK for Scotland since they will be able to auction all rights to the sectors in their teratorial waters and take all revenue from O&G production but in the medium term of about 15 years from now I personally cannot see how it could generate enough revenue as an independent country.

I don't know the numbers Mekong but if other small countries can be independent then why not Scotland? O&G isn't all that Scotland has got. Fishing, agriculture, tourism, whisky, manufacturing, etc, etc, same as others I would have thought. Denmark, Finland, Norway, Ireland are all independent small European countries, so why not Scotland? :dunno:

PS I'm not saying I support independence, just asking why not.