Scotland Thread

The_Munchmaster

Now that's the Scotland I love.

I knew a guy, (no relation to Munchie) who, on his wedding night in NZ, at the reception, had a "What are you looking at?" moment and proceeded to wreck the restaurant. Spent his honeymoon in Jail.

Obama signalled that he was opposed to Scottish independence. The US wanted its ally to remain "strong" and "united", he said.

There is a referendum process in place and it is up to the people of Scotland.

The United Kingdom has been an extraordinary partner to us. From the outside at least, it looks like things have worked pretty well.

And we obviously have a deep interest in making sure that one of the closest allies we will ever have remains a strong, robust, united and effective partner.

But ultimately these are decisions that are to be made by the folks there.

<<Miss Scotland was there and got her crown knocked off and the Lord Provost of Glasgow was there too. The whole thing was shocking and I am totally embarrassed about it. >>

I agree, I wouldn't be caught dead with Miss Scotland ot the Lord Provost of Glasgow!

Muslim murdered ‘westernised’ ex-wife in Stirling

A MAN has been found guilty of burning his “westernised†ex-wife to death, after setting fire to her following a bitter divorce.

Ahdeih Khayatzadeh, 46, suffered 95 per cent burns in the attack by Ahmad Yazdanparast at the Venus Hair & Beauty salon in the centre of Stirling last October.

The two-week trial at the High Court in Edinburgh heard that 61-year-old Yazdanparast used petrol to set fire to the mother-of-three. He will be sentenced at a later date.

Detective Inspector Bryan Burns said last night: “The horrific nature and consequences of this crime has had an immeasurable impact on Ahdeih’s family and I would like to praise their strength, courage and support.

“I would also like to thank those members of the community in Stirling who helped at the scene of this tragic incident and those who came forward after our appeal for witnesses.

“The many people who responded so promptly and positively did much to assist the investigation.

“Our thoughts remain with Ahdeih’s family during this difficult time.â€

Earlier, the judge, Lady Wise, told Yazdanparast that he had been convicted of the murder of his wife in “a horrific attackâ€.

She said only one sentence could be imposed – life in prison.

A decision on the minimum sentence he must serve before becoming eligible to seek parole was adjourned until later this month for a background report.

The couple, who both originally came from Iran, had joint property interests but separated in 2010 before finally divorcing last year.

The court heard that detectives collected up cards thrown down by Yazdanparast before the fire attack and found handwritten messages in English and Farsi.

In one, he said: “If she was in Iran she was not doing this to me and my children. Game is over.â€

One of the cards referred to her praying, fasting and reading the Koran but added that she was “doing adulteryâ€. Another said: “She married me for visa and my money.â€

Yazdanparast, known as Chico, had denied in evidence assaulting his wife, despite having a previous conviction for attacking her.

The court heard that Ms Khayatzadeh had previously contacted police over threats that he made to kill her and pour acid on her face.

Advocate depute Tim Niven-Smith told jurors: “He wasn’t being listened to, he wasn’t being obeyed.

“He lost control of his wife and he murdered her.â€

Yazdanparast, who told his trial that he was “a British Muslimâ€, said that in Iran the man was superior to the woman and had authority over her, but his wife was superior to him.

He said she was not listening or co-operating and was becoming “westernisedâ€.

Yazdanparast told the court that he did not want a divorce and said: “In this country divorce is quicker than getting a driving licence. That’s not right.â€

Ms Khayatzadeh was found alive by a fire crew responding to the blaze, but she died later in hospital.

Paramedic Steven Morgan told the murder trial that he asked Ms Khayatzadeh who was responsible and she said it was her ex-husband. Asked why, the witness said she told him “because she had divorced himâ€.

Following her death, Ms Khayatzadeh’s family said a “huge void†had been left in their lives.

They described her as a “wonderful woman who was devoted to her family and spent every spare minute she could with themâ€.

http://www.scotsman....rling-1-3432003

Obviously not cold enough ... :p

<< However, the immigration of Muslims to Scotland is a relatively recent event. The majority of Scottish Muslims are members of families who immigrated in the late 20th century. Scotland's Muslims in 2001 represented just 0.9% of the population (42,557), with 30,000 in Glasgow.[3] By 2011, the Muslim population had increased to 76,737, accounting for 1.4% of Scotland's population. Muslims are the third largest non-Christian group after atheists and agnostics. Many Scottish Muslims are of South Asian descent, primarily originating in Pakistan.

Two important mosques in Scotland are Edinburgh Central Mosque, which took more than six years to complete at a cost of £3.5m[5] and has a main hall that can hold over one thousand worshippers, and Glasgow Central Mosque. There is one Ahmadiyya mosque in Glasgow. >>

http://en.wikipedia....lam_in_Scotland