Scotland Thread

The_Munchmaster

Braveheart was nonsense by Mel Gibson.

<< In brief, the history in "Braveheart" is absolute garbage.

William Wallace did indeed lead a rebellion against English occupation in 1296. He won a surprising victory at Stirling Bridge and lost at Falkirk. After his capture, he was tried and executed as depicted. That's about all that matches history. The rest of the film was inaccurate, grossly distorted, or absolutely made up. I can't cover it all (and I should have done this when my memory of the film was fresher) but here are some, er, "highlights".

... >>

http://celticfringe.net/history/brave.htm

Scottish referendum: How does England's most northern town feel?

Berwick-upon-Tweed has watched the Scottish referendum play out at close quarters. How do the residents feel about waking up to find their neighbours have voted to stay in the Union?

The town is in the most north-easterly corner of England, hugging the mouth of the River Tweed and surrounded by farming land which spills over into Scotland's southern borders.

A sign mounted in the railway station commemorates the site of Berwick Castle, where the claim of Robert the Bruce to the crown of Scotland was declined in 1292.

Before the 16th Century, the settlement changed hands between the kingdoms of England and Scotland several times. Its football team, Berwick Rangers, is the only English side to play in the Scottish league.

Of the 11,000 people who live in Berwick, most work in the service and tourism industries or in agriculture.

For two years, they have lived with the knowledge that the Scots who are part of their extended families and who travel there to shop, work and go to school, could elect to become part of a different country altogether.

So how do people feel about the No vote?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29281107

Braveheart was nonsense by Mel Gibson.

<< In brief, the history in "Braveheart" is absolute garbage.

William Wallace did indeed lead a rebellion against English occupation in 1296. He won a surprising victory at Stirling Bridge and lost at Falkirk. After his capture, he was tried and executed as depicted. That's about all that matches history. The rest of the film was inaccurate, grossly distorted, or absolutely made up. I can't cover it all (and I should have done this when my memory of the film was fresher) but here are some, er, "highlights".

... >>

http://celticfringe....story/brave.htm

...we would throw on the DVD of Braveheart and the Scotish gals loved it! that was true enough for us!! :hubbahubba: