Scotland Thread

The_Munchmaster

HM Revenue & Customs (service@refund.co.uk)

Wed 2/18/15 5:01 PM

Dear Applicant

After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 418.33 GBP Your TRN (TAX REFUND NUMBER): UK52/288194HMRC29/158, complete the tax return form attached to this message.

After completing the form, submit the form by clicking the SUBMIT button on form and allow us 5-9 business days in order to process it.

All equals CND $804.00.

• 2 months later...

In two weeks, the U.K. Is going to have an election between two evenly divided parties, with the Scottish Seperatist Party possibly receiving the third most members in Parliment and a debate over whether the U.K. should remain part of the E.U. It seems to me to be a far more important election than the one last year for Scottish Independance. No British expats or residents have any opinions on the issues at stake or on a Conservative versus Labor government?

I've not voted in the last 20 years. Mostly from the viewpoint that not voting gives me no right to question what is or isn't done in the UK by or for the government all I ask in return is that they remain out of and disconnected from all of my affairs. Since I don't live there this seems fair.

On the other hand I am more inclined to register as a voter again though I don't really have a sufficient grasp on the current situation to form a decent judgement. All I've heard suggests that outside of the heavyweight parties the others seem to be one trick pony single issue parties without breadth of concern. UKIP might be, but it's new and prone to self inflicted wounds at the moment, that might change in time. It's certainly contentious and I think a healthy dose of UKIP MP's might make some of the entitled establishment types sit up and take notice.

What seems certain is that as the major parties have moved away from radicalism to a more Euro/Global centric position a coalition government seems inevitable, and maybe a good thing. :dunno:

• 1 month later...

Eric Lomax.

Another famous Scot.

"Watch The Railroad Man which goes on general release in the new year, and you'll leave the cinema feeling you know all about the complicated, scarred individual at its centre: Eric Lomax, who was tortured by the Japanese during the second world war and eventually rescued from his torment through the love of his wife Patti."

LINK

An interesting take on the Thai - Burma railway.

• 3 weeks later...

Ladyboys of Bangkok get their kilts lifted

THE lady boys of Bangkok are “devastated†– after their kilts were stolen just before the opening night of their Scottish tour.

Five custom-fitted kilts of “various colours†were taken from the performer’s marquee in Baxter Park, Dundee on Friday morning.

The world famous cabaret act, from Thailand, had intended to wear them in the closing number of their show, which opened on Friday night.

The extravagant 10-minute finale features the “girls†dancing and miming to classic Scottish songs including “The Bonny Bank of Loch Lomond†and “500 Miles†by The Proclaimers.

But their kilts were taken from amongst other props whilst the stage was being set up, between 7am and 9am on Friday morning. No other items were taken.

A spokesman said: “At first, the Lady Boys were totally bemused. Their question was – why?

“Nothing else was taken, only the kilts. They were taken in the morning, they were out with the other props from the show waiting to be moved into the dressing room area.

“Because of the choreography of the finale, the kilts have got to swing like kilts, they can’t use skirts or dresses.

“We’ve had to get replacements. Scotland has always been home to the Ladyboys – they’ve been coming for 17 years.

“They’re devastated that in Scotland, someone would do that.. They just feel a bit sad that it would happen here.â€

He added: “We just want our kilts back. They’re not much use to anyone else.â€

The show, which features 16 male-to-female performers, still went on, with help from a local kilt hire firm.

The UK tour will continue to dates in Aberdeen this week, and will feature as part of the Edinburgh festival in August.