?Letters from Issaan- End of story? Part 4

phoenix

Back to BKK

I told Nok on the plane that I?d received an email from Ted, and was going to have a drink with him early evening outside bar of Nana. MISTAKE! I should have gone and not told her.

Ted had emailed me a few days earlier. Yes he had her password, read my email to her about retrieving some stuff she had walked out with. This was the first he heard of my existence. He was initially extremely angry with her for lying and cheating. He had visited her about 8 times over the past few years, a week or two each time, he thought it was him who convinced her to quit working bar, and who had been financing her schooling over the past year. (Just like I thought I did.)

He?s about my age, twice married and divorced, with two late teenager kids living in an apartment in England somewhere. He genuinely wanted her, and was hoping to bring her to England, maybe to marry her. He was totally shocked. First he talked about revenge, and expressing his anger to her, then eventually mellowed.

I pointed out my view, that as far as I am concerned she?d been hedging her bets with us two, since each of us were until recently merely casual visitors, had not made any genuine commitment.

In August last year, he?d gotten the same email from her I received, about the first pregnancy, only this time she claimed it was his baby ?for sure, only sleep with you, no other man?. As it happened, it was his, as the ultrasound showed in September. But she hadn?t told him until December (when I arrived longtime) that she?d gotten rid of the pregnancy three months earlier.

That morning, from NP, I arranged to meet him for drinks at Nana.

Now if only, I hadn?t told Nok. Mind you, that was impossible, because she?d insisted on coming with me anyway, she doesn?t want me to go to Nanaplaza on my own.

So off we go, meet Ted. Nice bloke, we get on well. The first hour, she feels a bit left out, because we speak English together, and she doesn?t understand a large part of it. He tells me, no hard feeling about her anymore, he?s here to have a good time, shag himself silly, and forget about her.

We decide to BF Nok?s friend for company, and hit a few bars. Nok is talking to Ted quite animatedly (?), talking about past memories etc. After a few drinks and a couple of bars, I am the one getting bored. That time, Nana was still all covered up, and the dancers act very bored. I suggest we go to Soi Cowboy. Nok refuses. We argue. In the end I say, well I am bored here, I want to leave. ?Up to you? she says. ?But do you mind if I stay with Ted tonight?? I am a bit taken aback. This is the woman who has lived with me most of the past three months and ostensibly is carrying my child.

?Only talk, I haven?t seen Ted for long time, good friend?.

?Up to you? I say, and leave. Ted assures me he has absolutely no intentions of any hanky panky, but I think I know Nok by now, especially when she gets drunk.

I go to Soi Cowboy, get drunk, don?t get laid, go home alone.

Next morning, about 10.00 a.m. Nok walks in.

I glare at her, a bit hungover (That makes for both of us).

?So what happened? Where did you go??

?I went with Ted to his hotel, we talked all night.?

?Did you have sex??

?Yes, we fucked, but no good, he was drunk and didn?t come, neither did I, so that doesn?t really count?

!!!!!?????!!!!!

Then she says: ? You and I had planned to go to Pattaya today, you still want to??

Me: ? I?m not sure now?

Nok: ?Ted is going, I want to go?.

This is the moment of decision. Basically, she wants to continue to string along both of us. She appears not to want to ditch me, but has figured out that I am by no means a safe bet anymore. She has understood by now, after 3 months together, that I am increasingly uncertain about long time ongoing relation. I have also made crystal clear that I am not ever marrying again. Ted might marry her.

On my part, I had been thinking about exit strategies. She handed me one on a plate, by staying the night with Ted. I am actually not jealous, or even very angry at all. But this allows a disengagement that appears triggered by her, saves her face, and lets me off the hook.

I decide: ?If you want to go, go with Ted, I hope you will be happy with him, but don?t come back!?.

Exit Nok. I get a call from Ted a couple of hours later, before they leave for Pattaya. He is apologetic, said he really didn?t want sex last night, but he got drunk and she badgered him for hours, and as usual, in the end got her way. (sounds familiar to me).

After the nights talk, he decided that he would be prepared to give her one more chance.

I wished him the best of luck, told him he?d need it, and said we may meet up for a drink in Pattaya a few days on, since I had wanted to go there anyway.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived