GPS, Which where etc

persil

I'm getting GPS for in the car for Christmas, just don't know which brand, type etc. Know nothing. To be used mainly in Thailand (and Laos if possible.) Don't want to spend the earth, but I want it to be reliable and user friendly. Maps need to be in English.

Anuone here have any experience?

Most recommendations seem to be for Garmin. Don't need all bells and whistles.

Where (in LOS) to buy?

Don't know where to get in LOS. Got my Garmin online. But as a sidebar, since I got an iPhone I haven't used the Garmin.

I have software &c for Garmin that includes LOS but the Laos stuff is very much main road only. At least for about two years since I last researched.

PM if interested in details. :)

Don't know where to get in LOS. Got my Garmin online. But as a sidebar, since I got an iPhone I haven't used the Garmin.

I have software &c for Garmin that includes LOS but the Laos stuff is very much main road only. At least for about two years since I last researched.

PM if interested in details. :)

AFAIK, Garmin is the only one with Thai maps.

You can buy a Garmin pre-loaded with these maps for 6000+ baht in Thailand, or buy one overseas for half the price and download the Thai maps online.

Here in Farangland.

All the GPS units purchased new allow one free map update within 30 days of purchase or activation.

Is this the same in LOS?

The two companies that actually make the maps - Navteq and Tele-Atlas - update maps 4 times per year.

I use Garmin maps for Thailand and rest of world for that matter. The updates are just img files that can be copied to any device and don't need activation. I think they get updated once a year or longer still. The latest Garmin has the new highway into Pattaya for example - but I haven't driven there for years!

There are even 3rd party web sites that post the updates for download by anyone.

I recently got a Garmin from Gadgetrend -

http://www.gadgetrend.com/

Helpful sales girl (at the Rhamkhamhaeng shop), and the Garmin seems very good. Got a Japan map aswell on a micro sdc card...

Got the spiffy 3770 - works very well, and a good interface ( as opposed to a Kamaz one i briefly tried/used).

Lots of other useful gadgets there too, as you'd guess from the name - good stuff for cable management/tidying up.

ps you can choose languages easily for displays and voice route info etc as you like - I ended up switching over to Thai for the voice navi info as the US/UK english pronounciation of street names made me wince ;-)

Archived