?Letters from Issaan- End of story? Part 5

phoenix

Pattaya

I get to Pattaya a couple of days later, check into a hotel, and have a night out on the town. Next morning, my phone is nearly flat, and I remember my charger was in Nok?s bag. So I jump in a cab, go to the hotel where Nok and Ted are staying, and try and contact them. Unfortunately, I don?t have a family name for Ted, but describing him by his tattoos and size, and describing him, the reception staff grin, and say ?Of course, yes he comes here often, we call him.

Nok answers the phone. ?Come on up?. ?No thanks, how about you come down?. I order breakfast, she comes down. No animosity, we act as old friends. Ted is hungover, and appears half an hour later. ?I think we have to talk, loose ends need tidying.?

Ted explains that when her passport and name (ID card) issues are sorted, he wants her to come to England, and marry him. ?Good on you, Mate, but what about the baby. I thought you told me you didn?t want a baby, especially if it isn?t yours??

"No, I Don't", he says

Nok butts in: ?Oh, don?t worry, no problem, I give baby to Meh, then I go to England. Meh look after baby?

Like hell. I?ve spent enough time with Meh to know I wouldn?t be too happy at her bringing up ?my? baby.

More thinking, more deciding.

Then Ted tells me the latest about Sister. It appears Nok told Meh that, since she wasn?t with me anymore, but with Ted, who is less generous with baht, the family income would drop drastically. I have always recognized the need for some family support, but Ted refuses it altogether. Meh, in response to this, called over younger sister and told her it was her turn. ?You go BKK, get nosejob, and go work bar. Nok?s friend K. who works bar will introduce you and mentor you.?

Same day, Sister gets on the bus to BKK. She had her nosejob yesterday.

That does it for me. I had this illusion over the past few years that I was doing this nice Pygmalion trip of helping a girl out of the bar, only to find she gets replaced by her sister.

The further consequence of this also dawns on me.

It looks like if that baby is a girl, and gets brought up by Meh, she?ll follow Meh?s orders, and in 18 years time will march off to BKK to work in a bar.

I reach a conclusion, and am rather straightforward about it.

?Nok, in the end it is your decision, but under these circumstances, I believe this child is better off not getting born. I certainly am not giving you any financial support if you are going to leave the child with Meh. Forget it, I withdraw all support as off now!?

I had promised earlier financial support, even if we?d not be together, for the sake of the kid. Now I realize that was making it far to easy, and in fact may have motivated the pregnancy. I don?t go back on my word often, but now I will.

The three of us hang out for a while at the hotel, Ted and I exchanging experiences, really very similar. That evening, we go to a Gogo together, but my heart isn?t in it anymore. After half an hour in the bar, I take leave and go back to my hotel.

As far as I was concerned, that was the end, I had no more need or wish to ever see her again.

Two days later, I was due to fly back home back home.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived