Bar4 on Suk Soi 4

ThaiHome

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a couple of other TIPCO brand OJ styles available that are quite palatable as well. :up: :content: :beer:

I'm in Vietnam, and Tipco is sold in better supermarkets here too. Have seen some of the different varieties but didn't tune in to whether this was one of them. I know I've had Tangerine Orange juice (which is NOT tangerine!) but was disappointed because actual tangerine was what I was after (the word "orange" is small on the label, so I got tricked into buying it).

I googled and found this:

http://www.tipco.net/consumer/english/product.asp?cid=12

Si Thong seems to be an especially sweet type, and an orange from the north.

I'm more of a sourish OJ guy, but will try it anyway.

That site says Valencia is the world's most popular type, and it's a sour one. Interesting. I wonder why a sour orange juice became more popular than a sweet one, when sweet is a more popular taste than sour.

Sorry, what were we talking about again? ;)

Great bar for watching the goings-on around Soi 4' date=' but could you please upgrade your "orange juice" to something better than Fanta? :barf:

The dek serve claimed it was OJ but that don't make it so... even if she was cute....[/quote']

I don't think it is Fanta but let me look into it mate. If I can find something better I will, but due to our location it will probably come from Foodland or Villa. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Mark

Mate,

Just come back from the bar and we are using Tipco. All I can think is maybe they ran out on that day and perhaps used Fanta. Try as I might we are still in LOS ie. someone could have legged it to the 7/11 to get something.

Let me look into it further.

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

OK reporting back on the orange juice issue.

I've found 3 types available here in Vietnam:

Si Thong

Blood Orange

Valencia

Si Thong is nice, and seems like a more Thai type OJ than what I get back home (California, New York) -- which I would say matches best to Valencia (yellow-orange in color, not very clear). Si Thong is more red-orange in color and less sour than Valencia. Blood Orange was red (like you'd expect) and maybe slightly sweeter than Si Thong. They're all nice though, not the extra-sweetened kind of crap you often get at lower prices. Not cheap: a litre costs almost $2 US here (39,000 VND).

• 2 years later...

Mark's new place looks great, and I always enjoyed his old place 'Tony's' on Soi Cowboy. Will stop in next time in the area and say hi and have a beer or two. Best of luck, Mark. Cheers. :beer:

Beer is just as you like in Cent, nice and cold.

Cheers,

Mark

post-17534-0-63074700-1382936054_thumb.jpg

From 10,000 miles away, even a warm beer on soi 4 sounds like a nice idea... game of pool with the ladies... memories so near, distance so far.

And, to keep it relevant: Bar4 has been a required stop for me on many an occasion - coming in many times on a morning arrival flight, timing is perfect for that first beer of the morning - and often first beer of the month for me! Will be back, was a fan of Tony's (2003-2005...) and now a fan of Bar4...

Archived