Basic Disk space question

lifeline

I have a fairly new computer. It runs MS Windows 7 Home Premium. It has 115 gb of OS Disk Space and 325 of Data space.

I am getting a message saying I am low on disk space. The OS space is almost full and the Data Space is almost entirely unused (about 5 gb used).

Me and MS - dumb and dumber!

How do I solve this silly problem and get the Data Space into action?

Thanks very much :dunce:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some companies insist on it, plus a lot of on line games are still on it.

However in Africa Linux is making great leaps, especially with Linux platforms like Ubuntu,

Don't forget Mac'$ are every bit as $cum as M$, and often even more of a walled garden environment.

Just because Mac'$ are groovy shouldn't fool you into thinking they are any less evil than M$ when it comes to comparing open and closed source solutions.

I have Windows 7 as well and I have just 27 GB used on my c drive. I think it is unlikely you have used a 100 GB more just for your programs. So probably you don't save your data on your D-drive, but on your c-drive.

Why don't you look at the windows libraries, google how to add some maps on your d drive to your libraries and make them your standard maps for storing your files in your libraries.

Second, hunt down your data on the c drive and copy them to your d drive yo your just created library maps.

soongmak,

Re: "So probably you don't save your data on your D-drive, but on your c-drive.

Why don't you look at the windows libraries, google how to add some maps on your d drive to your libraries and make them your standard maps for storing your files in your libraries.

Second, hunt down your data on the c drive and copy them to your d drive yo your just created library maps.".

You are absolutely correct. STUPID MS Windows 7 has done this. It has put all my "Libraries" (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music) on the OS drive - why the idiots at MS have done this is beyond me.

In a very general sense, I understand your solution - in an actual sense, you are a bit over my head. I don't understand things such as "standard maps" and "library maps". If you were able and would be kind enough to take the time to explain in my laymen terms, it would be helpful and I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your earlier reply

I always find it difficult to explain pc soltions, to other people, but why don't you look here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-7-libraries-%E2%80%93-and-why-you-want-them/

It explains how libraries work and how you can add maps to them.

First let me explain why you want new maps in your libraries. Now you have your data saved on your c-drive, and it's ful. So what you want is to move your data to the d drive.

In order to move the data so you can find them later, give the maps appropriate names. I have maps for downloads, pictures, videos, documents, software and ebooks.

Create maps on your d drives with those kind of names. Now you have created them, add those maps to the libraries in windows 7. You add the map D:\music to your music library, your d:\downloads to your download library and so on.

Now you have created multiple maps for one library. Now start copying files from for instance c:\users\username\music to d:\music

After you have copied all your files to the appropriate library maps on your d-drive, you can delete your data on the c-drive and free up some necessary hard drive space.

Also make sure you don't let your software safe files to your c-drive, but to your d-drive. You can usually change this in most programs by changing the standard map to save files to.

Good luck!

STUPID MS Windows 7 has done this. It has put all my "Libraries" (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music) on the OS drive - why the idiots at MS have done this is beyond me.

You can't really expect MS to meet the different disk size, partitioning and individual preference scenarios out there it's up to the PC manufacturer or whoever installs the operating system to configure it.

Doing a clean install yourself you will be meet with a lot of options for configuring your disk(s) I don't know if Win7 installation media has an option to select where default libraries for data should be located that would be a nice option although if you're savvy enough to configure your disk partitions you should be capable of changing library locations after installation.

Archived