Basic Disk space question

lifeline

I have a question along the same lines as the OP. I too am running Win 7 (sorry, Mekong) About every day or so, I have lost another GB. In a week, I went from 261 GB free to now having 254. How can I check what the system is doing to use so much space per day? I have not loaded any programs or pictures, movies, etc. to take up any space. I have deleted history, cookies, etc. daily but no space is gained. I'm pretty tech-stupid so be gentle and specific if you may have an idea.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can't really expect MS to meet the different disk size, partitioning and individual preference scenarios out there it's up to the PC manufacturer or whoever installs the operating system to configure it.

Doing a clean install yourself you will be meet with a lot of options for configuring your disk(s) I don't know if Win7 installation media has an option to select where default libraries for data should be located that would be a nice option although if you're savvy enough to configure your disk partitions you should be capable of changing library locations after installation.

No disrespect intended, sincerely. But, BULLSHIT!!! How many antitrust lawsuits have been filed against MS for manipulating the desktop (preference given to IE, for example) and how much power has MS been shown to have with respect to PC vendors?

Do you honestly think MS could not have "Documents, Pictures, etc" go to OS space rather than Data Space if it weren't due to incompetence, carelessness, or by design for some stupid, manipulative reason?

Give me a break, if not for Documents, Pictures, etc. - what the fcuk is the intent of Data Space. Don't blame the PC manufacturers, if this truly is an installation option - it never should have been.

Sorry for being so strong in my opinion. But, I started working as an IBM software Systems Engineer in 1968 and ended up as a Consultant far removed from technical details and I am retired and have admittedly become technically obsolete. But, I am not naive or stupid - this is fcuking ridiculous (putting user data in OS Space).

I don't know the reason why not every new Win-PC comes with a second partition for data. Beside security issues this is the biggest flaw of Windows since its invention.

I don't now one non-geek PC user who partitioned his PC after he purchased it. And when the first problems arise I get frantic calls. Usually my first questions are: are the data on a separate partition, do you have a backup...

...this is fcuking ridiculous (putting user data in OS Space).

If a disk has only one partition, how could Win 7 *not* put user data in the OS space? Are you saying that Win 7 on install should automatically create a second partition on the OS installation drive, and then use that for data?

You can't really expect MS to meet the different disk size, partitioning and individual preference scenarios out there it's up to the PC manufacturer or whoever installs the operating system to configure it.

Doing a clean install yourself you will be meet with a lot of options for configuring your disk(s) I don't know if Win7 installation media has an option to select where default libraries for data should be located that would be a nice option although if you're savvy enough to configure your disk partitions you should be capable of changing library locations after installation.

No disrespect intended, sincerely. But, BULLSHIT!!! How many antitrust lawsuits have been filed against MS for manipulating the desktop (preference given to IE, for example) and how much power has MS been shown to have with respect to PC vendors?

Do you honestly think MS could not have "Documents, Pictures, etc" go to OS space rather than Data Space if it weren't due to incompetence, carelessness, or by design for some stupid, manipulative reason?

Give me a break, if not for Documents, Pictures, etc. - what the fcuk is the intent of Data Space. Don't blame the PC manufacturers, if this truly is an installation option - it never should have been.

Sorry for being so strong in my opinion. But, I started working as an IBM software Systems Engineer in 1968 and ended up as a Consultant far removed from technical details and I am retired and have admittedly become technically obsolete. But, I am not naive or stupid - this is fcuking ridiculous (putting user data in OS Space).

I was not defending all of MS practices. There is a minimum requirement for disk space to install an OS including the default directories for personal data storage and this is what MS needs to follow.

Would you expect MS to state the minimum disk space required for WIn7 is 100GB = 20GB for the OS and 80 GB for a data partition? People would then start bitching about the excessive requirements.

Believe me, it really is up to the PC manufactures what size hard drive and how it will be partitioned.

FWIW: By default Ubuntu will happily drop the Home directory (personal documents) on the same partition as the OS.

From Microsoft:

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit).

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit).

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.

Hi expat,

As I said, I am obsolete. I have given my opinion. You might want to discuss this with Kamui who said, "

I don't know the reason why not every new Win-PC comes with a second partition for data. Beside security issues this is the biggest flaw of Windows since its invention.

I don't now one non-geek PC user who partitioned his PC after he purchased it. And when the first problems arise I get frantic calls. Usually my first questions are: are the data on a separate partition, do you have a backup...".

Cheers, your friend who hasn't changed his opinion that this is fcuking ridiculous and Happy New Year!! :cool:

Archived