Kaphom

dashiling

ครับผม - yes, yes sir

It's used as a marker of respect (greater than ครับ) to someone eg pupil to teacher, shop assistant to customer, taxi driver to passenger etc.

Can also apparently sometimes be used in a sarcastic/humorous way to your gf if you think she's bossing you around too much.

ครับผม - Can also apparently sometimes be used in a sarcastic/humorous way to your gf if you think she's bossing you around too much.

That is the *major* way I use it: new wife (*not* ex-wife), daughters, etc.

As long as not overused, it certainly gets the point across quite well!

ครับผม - Can also apparently sometimes be used in a sarcastic/humorous way to your gf if you think she's bossing you around too much.

That is the *major* way I use it: new wife (*not* ex-wife)' date=' daughters, etc.

As long as not overused, it certainly gets the point across quite well![/quote']

The sarcastic/humorous interpretation of this term is spot-on, and it's very frequently used by Thais...but it's a very light-hearted kind of sarcasm, and not likely to get you into trouble.

In fact, I often use it when getting into a taxi: I give my destination (in Thai), and when they repeat it back to me to confirm, I say "khapom"...they always smile at this, as it shows them that 1) I have a sense of [Thai] humor, and more importantly, 2) I know enough Thai and have been around enough that they will forget all thoughts of running any kind of scam on me/refuse to use the meter, etc., haha...

Other than this humorous use I stay away from this term myself (as I do with "pom" and "khap"); I detest these ultra-phony, hyper-polite terms which were only invented in the 1930s to supposedly make Thailand more "modern" and "civilized"...though khapom and the others do have their use when talking to people like immigration guards, police, etc...

Archived