New iPhone thoughts.

radioman

New iPhone thoughts.

I bought one. It works; well I’ve made calls sent sms’s got some music on to it and some pictures. Now comes the stuttering. I’m used to a Windows smartphone and doing things a certain way. I know this is going to be different but I do hope I’m not going to lose functionality. Searching on some of these topics has lead me to some rather old blogs and postings in different places that suggests maybe these issues have gone away. If anyone on here can point me at a good source of information it would be great. I have downloaded the iPhone OS user guide but so far not much help.

Email.

How do I mark all or selected emails as read without going through each one? I must be missing something here I’m sure.

Contacts.

I’m used to being able to assign pictures to my contacts and also order them according to either first or last name as required. Tend to have friends organised by first name but business contacts by last name. How to do that?

Ringtones.

How can I add my own ringtones to the phone?

I’d like the phone to vibrate on a text message arrival but without any sound. I have the vibrate on and the text tone set to none but it doesn’t vibrate when an sms arrives.

Operation.

I often have my Windows smartphone connected to my pc through the USB cable and using a 3rd part app can display the phone on the pc screen and control it. Very convenient for moving files and sms-ing. What apps are there that allow this for the iPhone?

TIA

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a bit of a geek who has been using iPhone ever since version 2 was released 4 years ago I will offer some advice.

JAILBREAK

Bypass the restrictions of Apple OS and open it up, it really is 100 times better once the OS is unlocked. OK admittedly hackin it invalidates your warranty but Apple warranty is crap anyway so you are not really loosing out on much. Crack it and enjoy, If i remember correctly another BM Coss also hack's his iPhone and will be able to confirm my comments, COSS add your thoughts (Bloody Kiwis are always asleep)

As a bit of a geek who has been using iPhone ever since version 2 was released 4 years ago I will offer some advice.

JAILBREAK

Bypass the restrictions of Apple OS and open it up, it really is 100 times better once the OS is unlocked. OK admittedly hackin it invalidates your warranty but Apple warranty is crap anyway so you are not really loosing out on much. Crack it and enjoy, If i remember correctly another BM Coss also hack's his iPhone and will be able to confirm my comments, COSS add your thoughts (Bloody Kiwis are always asleep)

I hear you and I'm rather rapidly coming to the conclusion that the basic phone is just that, a tad basic. Opening up seems to be the only answer. My big problem with that is to understand the implications that it might bring with it. Most WinMo phones can be similarly opened up for re-romming etc using Hard SPL or whatever but they can also be returned to factory stock locked format. Does that also apply in the case of the iPhone?

No

Once you crack an iPhone your warranty is void, but as far as I am concerned a cracked iPhone with no warranty is far better than an uncracked one.

I am not sure of your knowledge of software but honestly once you free the system you can perform some amazing shit on it, I have yet to find anything it cannot but then again I am the geek who has been working with computers for over 30 years.

JAILBREAK

Bypass the restrictions of Apple OS and open it up' date=' it really is 100 times better once the OS is unlocked. OK admittedly hackin it invalidates your warranty but Apple warranty is crap anyway so you are not really loosing out on much. Crack it and enjoy, If i remember correctly another BM Coss also hack's his iPhone and will be able to confirm my comments, COSS add your thoughts (Bloody Kiwis are always asleep) [/quote']

I hear you and I'm rather rapidly coming to the conclusion that the basic phone is just that, a tad basic. Opening up seems to be the only answer. My big problem with that is to understand the implications that it might bring with it. Most WinMo phones can be similarly opened up for re-romming etc using Hard SPL or whatever but they can also be returned to factory stock locked format. Does that also apply in the case of the iPhone?

I haven't hacked my iPhone, as I see two problems:

- The process of hacking can go wrong and your iPhone turns into a brick - but I have read that hacking the iPhone became quite easy over the time.

- You'll have to wait updating your phone until the hack comes out for the updated iOS.

@Mekong

What are the biggest gains of hacking an iPhone?

Archived