What is it like to be single as an older guy?

AD1985

I'm still fairly young (25) but I've been wondering about what life is like as an older guy, single vs married. I don't see a reason to get married before 35 but after that my general conception is that single life is still probably better between 35-45. But after a certain point, marriage becomes more favorable. I imagine that life at 60 or 70 may be quite empty without a family.

I'm interested to hear what the older guys have to say (good and bad) especially if you're single.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been married twice and I still am, I'd love to be single now (51) but I could imagine that as you get older it could be lonely.

Conversely, I know an 84 year old that still pulls the birds, he says the ratio of men to women in the post 60 group is very much in his favour. When he pulls a woman 20 years his junior, no one complains.

As a guy nearly twice your age I would suggest forget getting married, it's just not worth it have fun instead.

I am currently partying in Santiago Chile with a 23 year old Chilean Chicita I met in Madrid and having the time of my life, jeez my twin daughters from my first failed marriage are 28 now so it's a little weird shafting a chicita 5 years younger then my own kids but also a lot of fun.

As the age old saying goes rent don't buy

(This is from a man going through his fouth divorce)

In a couple of days I'll be a dozen years older than you (don't tell anyone though most people believe me when I tell them mid to late 20's) and my advice is to stay single for as long as you can.. Yes, I'm in the married and divorced club, and currently in a long term relationship with someone who just MAY be as crazy as I am, but believe me divorce is a fucking painful experience, especially when a little one is involved. I guess it sounds pessimistic but reality is (at least down here) more marriages fail than succeed.

Enjoy yourself, and if you are lucky enough to find someone you feel you can't live without, just enjoy it for as long as you can. Playing the field IMO is the way to go, especially in a LOS type environment

An ex-colleague married and divorced in his 20s (Chinese gal). He determined to stay single after that, but ended up in a common law marriage in his late 60s. He said it has worked out perfect for him. In his 70s now, he almost needs a keeper; his Mrs is about 30 years younger and waits on him hand and foot.

Maybe men are doing things all wrong. Wait to get married until you are fairly well burnt out and need a nanny. :hmmm:

Love reading above advice to stay single from punters married one, two, three, and four times.

Find a nice gal, get married, pop off a couple children, and live happily ever after.

Statistically, married men live longer.

But from reading above, make sure you are financially set. The child support payments may crimp your style.

I guess, stash away half of your net worth in a hidden bank account in the Caymen Islands - just in case that sweet gal turns sour.

Maybe men are doing things all wrong. Wait to get married until you are fairly well burnt out and need a nanny. :hmmm:

Makes sense to me, if I lose the current MiWiMee I know a 25 year old Laos girl who'd be good in a nurses uniform.

Love reading above advice to stay single from punters married one, two, three, and four times.

Find a nice gal, get married, pop off a couple children, and live happily ever after.

Statistically, married men live longer.

But from reading above, make sure you are financially set. The child support payments may crimp your style.

I guess, stash away half of your net worth in a hidden bank account in the Caymen Islands - just in case that sweet gal turns sour.

The guys who have been married and divorced are the ones who should know...takes some a little longer to figure it out though...

It is true that married men live longer...but for what? :dunno::dunno::dunno: For more nagging and little or no sex?

Reminds me of the old story...guy has a heart attack, when he is leaving the hospital, the Doctor pulls the wife aside and says "...your husband will be fine if you do 3 things 1) stop nagging him 2) cook him 3 good meals a day and 3) give him sex at least 4 times a week..." The wife says "thank you" and leaves...in the car the husband says "what did the doctor tell you?" the wife says "he said you're gonna die soon..."

...(This is from a man going through his fouth divorce)

You're getting divorced from your Thai wife?

No she is getting divorced from me, sort off bye bye do not come back and she has used her influence to have me listed as "Personna Non Gratia" in Thailand.

So after 19 years and 10 months in Thailand I am now homeless and country less.

Archived