"Shantaram" + "The Windup Girl" two fictions on/in Asia

kamui

"Shantaram" a novel by Gregory David Roberts

I recently read the book on the way back from BKK.

It is a book you can't stop reading. Albeit mostly fictional it's based on the life of the author who fled from an Aussi prison to Bombay, became a slum doctor, passport smuggler, fighter in the first Afghan war... He was Australia's most wanted for a decade.

Extremely well written. It is has nothing to do with the usual prison literature. It is a "man's" book in opposite to international women bestseller "Eat, Pray, Love" which I found partly unreadable and really stupid.

"The Windup Girl" a science fiction novel by Paolo Bacigalupi

I am currently reading it. It has won several awards.

The Windup Girl is set in the 23rd century: Global Warming has raised the levels of world's oceans, carbon fuel sources have become depleted.

The story takes place in BKK, which hasn't been flooded like other world capitals.

I liked Shantaram. Great read I thought. (Whether fiction or nonfiction). One of the better reads of the last couple of years. Good storyline, different locale and background, you just had to keep turning the pages to see what happened next - a good sign for me, excellent well rounded characters. Sex, drugs and rock'nroll. Interesting read and lots of action, yet very well paced and informative as well: you learned a bit while reading this, at least I did. The 'slum doctor' gig he sort of falls into was heart warming and well written. You care about the people written of.

All in all I would recommend this book highly.

Did hear a while back it was being made into a movie. Never did hear of it coming out in theaters. Anyone know if the movie was made?

"Shantaram" was leant to me by Cent, an OK book, I think if he wasn't Australian I would have liked it more but he wasn't a hero or someone I liked. I also have severe doubts on authenticity, if he sold it as "Fiction" again I would have liked it more, but by selling it as a "True Story" I found myself getting annoyed at obvious holes in the story.

Bloody LOOOONG read though.

Wind Up Girl I read ages ago, would be a interesting movie.

Archived