The sadness behind the smiles?

Lusty

Dunno if it's just me but like many I'm an old War Horse at this game now.

I still thoughly enjoy it when I come out here for many reasons but from the nightlife aspect of things,when you can see some of the sadness and in some cases sheer desperation behind the smiles,it ain't quite as much fun as it was.

Over to you lot?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're not wrong, we are all human, all the same species, biologically tied to one another. The more time you spend in and around a particular facet of the human condition you can't fail to be touched by it on one level or another.

Feel good that you can be that way, in some of us that emotion is buried a lot deeper than in others.

Yep, once we start to see it for what it is, there is a lot of sadness. Some of it comes from the girls' lifestyle and their time in the bar industry, but some of it is just simply that a lot of these girls come from really messed up backgrounds and have horribly messed up lives.

If you ever met a girl before she entered whoring, and then saw her 5-10 years later, the change would devastate many hardened punters...I lost my heart years ago, and consider myself pretty jaded, but when I look at one particular girl, it saddens me, because like so many others, it didn't have to be that way...

I saw it for what it was when I first came here in my late 20s, since I already could communicate in Thai on a very basic level before I ever stepped into a gogo bar or MP. As a result, I heard their stories and way back then. On the other hand, I think there was less desperation back then simply because Thais expected less in life. Thais nowadays are much more materialistic, which is the main reason so many go into the nightlife trade.

I remember picking up a freelancer from the Thermae who was hardly a hottie. But she was the widow of a US Army staff sergeant who'd been KIA after he was transfered from LOS to RVA. She showed me photos of them together and that made me feel sorry for her. :(

Still, never forget that the BGs are in it essentially by their own choice. It's the easiest and fastest way to make a lot of money. My old maid - like many working class folks - was very down on the BGs, considering them lazy and immoral. My maid worked hard for her money, what little she got. But she told me she kept her pride. :dunno:

Archived