The sadness behind the smiles?

Lusty

There is sadness everywhere, even among those maids of such high moral standards

Yep. All the sentimentalizing and exposition aside, how do you benchmark misery? I don't know. Suicide rates give an interesting glimpse. What percentage of your population sees death as preferable to life?

Thailand doesn't fare that badly. Better than the US, and certainly better than some of the more 'successful' Western and Asian countries.

In purely materialistic terms, it's easy for some to look down on Thailand, but in terms of quality of life -- why do so many expats relocate there? Any discussion about bargirls is a difficult one, because nobody checks their bias at the door.

Anyone, interesting page with suicide statistics per country.

Pulled a handful from the list. South Korea has almost the highest suicide rate in the world. Some of the results may seem counter-intuitive (eg, higher percentage of suicides in Canada than the US), but -- there it is.

---

2. South Korea

5. Japan

6. Russia

8. Ukraine

14. Finland

15. Belgium

17. Switzerland

18. France

27. New Zealand

28. Sweden

31. Cuba

35. Canada

40. United States

42. Denmark

44. Australia

46. Singapore

49. Germany

50. Ireland

53. Netherlands

57. Thailand

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Regarding having a "choice"... Earn 5000 b per month slaving away in a factory or maybe ten times that in a gogo/bar.

One girl the sole income earner for the family due to drunken/lazy/dead parents etc.

A choice, maybe... But a realistic choice?

Definitely a lot more jaded looking girls this trip for me... Or maybe it's me getting old and more cynical.

Seems a lot more idiot farangs around too I've noticed. No wonder the girls get the shits with it.

Bullshit works from both sides.

i wrote a long winded post but then realised it was too off track for this discussion so i will just say this...

maybe a little off track from what you've said but i'm seeing the bullshit on both sides like never before. I don't think i can do it anymore. thailand is devouring itself. too commercial, too many tourists, its all about the money now and i cant do it anymore...

Several of the expats here have, over the years, expressed a desire to see NP, Cowboy and Wa. Sq bulldozed. Lets sterilize BKK, drive those nasty Isaan people back to the provinces and all settle down to a nice, quiet, middle-class existence. How big did you say your condo was again ?

yes please

Several of the expats here have' date=' over the years, expressed a desire to see NP, Cowboy and Wa. Sq bulldozed. Lets sterilize BKK, drive those nasty Isaan people back to the provinces and all settle down to a nice, quiet, middle-class existence. How big did you say your condo was again ? [/quote']

yes please

Gobble, I know you are being sarcastic. I could tender for the job and I wouldn't mind in the least bit - I'd tear everything apart with a CAT 320 & maybe a bulldozer to make the process more efficient and some trucks to take the rubble away.

I'd personally finance it all if I didn't know that another would spring up in it's place!

I know stickman would probably survive the devastation, no doubt opining to the very end - I can picture him with bullets flying everywhere, but bunked somewhere underground still sending his weekly reviews through some secret intercom, only more interesting I suppose,

much like peter after the nuclear bomb LOL.

Anyhow, I'm just pre-supposing. I actually like Stick. We've got a kind of mutual respect I suppose, us both being antipodeans and all.

What have you folks got against podes? :confused:

p.s. Why pick on Nana, Cowboy etc? You actually have to go to them if you are interested. I would much rather see the hookers, street vendors and Nigerian drug dealers etc run off of Sukhumwit - where it is virtually impossible to ignore them. It is not very pleasant trying to make your way through them to walk somewhere.

Archived