G is for?

Mekong

Mekong,

Nice guitar. Love the hollow body flat tops. Beautiful tone. Have fun with it.

----------------For those who have no clue what this guitar looks like or is all about, for you:

41j200_1.jpg

Description: Gibson J-200 flat top guitar

Available: 1938 to present.

Case: Brown hardshell case with a pink lining was the top-end Gibson case. The mid-line case was a brown hardshell with a green or brown lining. Also sold a cardboard aligator case for those on a budget. 1938 to 1940s model could also have a black case with a red strip around the outside lid.

Collectibility Rating: Rosewood models: A+, Maple models: B+, 1961 and later models: C

Production: 1938:25, 1939:20, 1940:21, 1941:30, 1942-1947:unknown, 1948:166, 1949:111, 1950:101, 1951:204, 1952:201, 1953:201, 1954:250, 1955:131, 1956:181, 1957:229, 1958:131, 1959:172, 1960:167, 1961:125, 1962:139, 1963:259, 1964:277, 1965:204, 1966:214, 1967:285, 1968:404, 1969:392

General Comments: A very fancy Gibson flattop. Unfortunately, because of the maple design (maple back and sides and neck) the Gibson J200 guitar does not have the warmth in sound of the J-45 and other mahogany or rosewood models. Lots of treble and bite to the sound. This is why rosewood Gibson J200 guitars are so nice (warmer tone). I love the rosewood versions, but the maple ones are still a beautiful guitar.

If you need to figure out the exact year of your Gibson J-200 guitar, use the serial number. This is located inside the body, on a white or orangle label inside the body's sound hole. See the Gibson Serial Number Info web page for help determining the exact year.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me

Bass Burke Shelley, Budgie were totaly underated

Phil Lynott comes a clos second

Percussion Peart, no one gets close to how good he is

Guitar, We have Joe Striani, Stevie Vai etc but for me it's Jimmy Page he knocked shit out of that Las Paul, Toni Iommi (Black Sabbath) is a close Second

For moi, best guitarist is Duane Allman ( :rip: ):

j6mwOixCObc

I love how he shat all over Clapton on any song they did together.

Best bassist? Not contest: Bootsy Collins. No one ever told Bootsy he was playing a bass and not a lead. Some of the noises he made that bass make were just not of this world!

cgrOD4PZzuY

Bootsy is THE bass god!

One more, cuz I loves me some P-Funk from the Mothership and Bootsy and I used to try to play the bass:

B_LRYezOfeo

Both of these guys simply OWNED the instrument they played and could do anything in any genre which is what makes/made them great.

PS -- here's some wacky country/bluegrass/funk meld that Bootsy produced:

wwWc8MI6B2Q

LOL! Love it. So wacky. So fun!

Memories ... when I was a kid I found a pre-WWII Gibson guitar in my grandfather's closet. It had belonged to somebody in the family. I was excited and wanted to learn how to play it. But my grandmother decided guitar was too hard for a kid (I was 8) and stuck an effing accordion on me! She sold that beautiful Gibson to the music school for $15! :banghead:

I had to put up with about 4 years of accordion lessons, playing excruciatingly awful "music" like Lady of Spain and the Hawaiian War Chant. :barf:

I haven't touch an accordion since, but I did teach myself my own guitar style ... somewhat like Chet Atkins did but still unique. I played guitar until I got nerve damage in my left arm after being run into on a narrow Southern road by Butch in his effing towtruck. I might not be here, if I hadn't been in a full size pickup. :(

Still got my guitars, but it's hard as hell to finger the strings when the nerves in my left hand are numb. :(

Ghana

Now in my lexicon of love and the many nationalities I have shagged my only previous G was from ex soviet union Geaorgia, now I can add Ghana to that list, black as the ace of spades and could suck a golf ball through a hosepipe.

Her name wasn't Cindy, was it????

Over to you, Nervous God

Archived