Home Brew

Redbaron

Anyone else into home brewing? Discovered it just in time for summer late 2010 and haven't looked back since.

Must admit I cheat a bit, in the way most of the work is done by others. All I really do is bottle and cap the stuff and order it in advance. The mob I go through does about 155 different varieties (120 odd are copies of popular beers, 30 odd are their own recepies). Though the option to do the lot yourself (on premesis) is there. The best thing is, the beers all taste awesome, and the most they cost is half the price of the shops! Expensive beers cost about a third. Also no preservatives etc which seems to equal no headache or "rough" feeling the next morning.

Cons: Washing bottles, waiting up to a month for your beer (though usually a week or two)... and they do go down easy.

Here's the website if any Aussies are interested. Plenty of others around as well.

Brew Barn

Was into it in a big way once. Once you have the equipment it is easy and cheap to make. I think I was making 30 odd bottles each time and cost me less than $15 at a time. Had hundreds of bottles in reserve. Problem was I drank heaps because it was cheap and had so much of it.Put on heaps of weight too. :surprised: :content:

Be very careful in LOS. I heard about an expat who got turned in to the cops by his landlord for making beer in his apartment. The guy bought the home brewing equipment on eBay and started going to work. The maid saw it and told the landlord, who promptly informed the police. Seems it is illegal to make anything alcoholic here without a licence. The guy spent a night or two in the slammer, before an agreeable "fine" was worked out.

Seems it is illegal to make anything alcoholic here without a licence.

That is correct but how many thousands of gallons of Lao Kao are produced up country everyday.

Nasty farang brews a few pints of Beer nail him, Somchai the rice farmer produces 90% proof White Lightening turn a blind eye. The hypocrisy and dual standards in Thailand really do piss me off hence the reason I very much doubt that I will ever be back.

The government guys were trying to shut down the moonshiners a couple of years ago. The gov planned to set up certain factories to make lao khao and force all the others to stop. The moonshiners were up in arms, insisting the skills required to make it would soon be lost. In the end, a Thai solution was reached. Nobody did anything. :)

Archived