Cramps?

Lusty

Why do I keep getting cramps in various parts of the body quite regularly since I've been here but only get them occasionally at home?

Today,I've had it in the left hand(No Chuckwow jokes please!),the muscle across the top of the stomach and in my right calf.

Any idears? :dunno:

Is the bed you're staying on in LOS a typical Thai bed and has a very hard matress, Lusty?

I like a soft matress and always seem to suffer when I sleep on a hard Thai bed.

I talked to my doctor about it after one trip as I noticed I always seem to "ache" sometimes during a trip in Thailand. He said more-than-likely its back related as everything in your body directly (or indirectly) connects to the spine and back in some way.

He also mentioned what Munchie said - drinking more than you usually do in a warm climate can easily make you dehydrated therefore making you cramp up.

If it keeps happening, get yourself checked out by a doc just to make sure it's nothing more sinister.

Why do I keep getting cramps in various parts of the body quite regularly since I've been here but only get them occasionally at home?

Today,I've had it in the left hand(No Chuckwow jokes please!),the muscle across the top of the stomach and in my right calf.

Any idears? :dunno:

Deffo hydration. Drink some Gatorade or Sponsor or what have you a couple of times a day. Your body is just not used to the hot-humid weather in LoS versus Ol' Blighty.

This is a huge issue for athletes competing in hot/humid climes which is why those drinks were created. Not that you are an athlete :neener: but it applies to anyone.

Dehydration can do it.

Change of diet can do it. Lack of potassium. (I'm told lack of magnesium can also be a factor.) Standard food for potassium is bananas. (Divers on vacation say "A banana a day keeps the leg cramps away!") Most green vegetables are good sources for both.

Every time I go to Bangkok, I go to considerable trouble to stay properly hydrated. Unfortunately, I have adrenal insufficiency, so I have to take corticosteroids, and I usually increase the dosage to allow for higher physical stress from heat and exercise. (My doctors know and approve.)

Last time in LOS I found dehydration quite a problem - it seems to start on the plane journey when the air is very dry and I dont drink a lot in case access to the bog is restricted.Then adapting to the sudden increase in sweating due to the hot and humid weather is not easy - in cold,damp farangland I dont drink that much so find it difficult to physically drink the volumes of fluid that are needed to avoid dehydration.

Archived