Gout

Coss

I had some wine and beer on new years eve, no alcohol since, and bad Gout every day since.

I've been taking Diflocanac and Tramidol, and now I am adjusting my diet and thinking of cutting my foot off.

Any advice people?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had gout for about 6 years. My doc is hopeless. He just prescribed anti inflammatories and painkillers... never mentioned diet or Colchicine.

Quite by accident I came across this site. I Cured My Gout Some good advice here..especially about prompt treatment. Worthwhile googling others too.

Of course try to control your drinking and diet cutting out the obvious such as offal, gravies, and anchovies. Google "gout purines"

Be careful with overuse of colchicine.. don't get me wrong; it works a treat, but don't overdose. My niece is a pharmacist and she warned me against overuse leading to kidney probs.

I seem to keep my excruciating attacks (crawling on floor to get to dunny etc) under control by:

1) diet

2) first hint of attack... one colchine, plus one indocit (anti inflammatory) or Voltaran 75

3) rest foot... raise slightly and apply ice pack.

If pain persists, repeat Indocit and use Panadeine Forte... Codeine super pain killer hard to obtain without prescription in LOS but strangely got loads in Malayasia. Masks the problem... enough for a cruise down Walking Street anyway!

Through following steps 1,2,3 I have hardly needed to resort to painkillers for last 2 years

Good luck, mates.

:beer:

Well, after administering diflocenac and tramidol many times a day for about two weeks and not having any improvement...

LK is in town and we hit my gout with a bottle of whiskey.

Next day gout gone, still a little tender, but gone. Next day very gone.

How about that then?

Cheers

Coss

• 2 months later...

i have suffered gout from the age of 24 and relates to a very early life of excess.

i have studied and tried all the mainstream cures and suggest the following:

1. allopurinol - take this daily and it will moderate the uric acid in your body - most gout sufferers take this and it works well - i was a rare exception and had the unfortunate side effect where my cock swelled up 3 times normal size and was equal in girth to my forearm after which it was bruised and unable to be used for several weeks.

2. Colchicine - this is used when u have an attack - take 2 tablets first then 1 each hour after until u get relief - usually u have to take 4 or 5 and then the gout is gone but u do usually get the shits and a good clean out

3. probenicid or procid - i take this daily to keep gout away and havent had an attack for years. it is an alternative to allopuinol and just as effective - it is also used to boost the effectiveness of antibiotics so if u get an std or the flue the procid helps the antibiotic make short work of the little bastard!!!

once u have had a gout attack u will unfortunately get more and the attacks will become much worse - that is the fact - putting up with the pain is no good as the uric acid crystals do great harm to your joints over time.

just take the medicine and u will not have to modify your lifestle - u can still have pate, lobster and red wine to your hearts content.

Archived