ngo

kamui,

I am going to defer to your opinion as I really don't know anymore. There was a time long ago when they were everywhere in Phnom Penh. My trips were very frequent and very short but I know they scared the PP resident falang community back then. Picture wide-eyed mid-Westerners (US midwest) driving around in a van with a church name on it, determined to bring Jesus to, and thus save, the heathen.

Don't recall ever running into a non-Christian NGO in BKK.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well these NGO's must keep a very low profile in LOS coz I'd never even heard of them until this thread and I've been travelling to / living in LOS for over 22 years! :shocked:

I wonder who actually has seen any NGO in the P4P scene -either in Cambo or in LOS.

In Cambo NGO's are much more visible' date=' but mainly through Western media. Since my first trip in 2003 I have never seen a NGO in the P4P scene for Barangs.[/quote']

I have. I have seen several where Lizzy and I hang out on 23. I even shagged the former head of CARA SEA who I shockingly meet in no name bar! (Ask John!) She had the nicest house I have ever spent time in in downtown BKK; of course, CARE owned it.

A problem with this thread is the use of "NGO." NGO is a term we came up with for ANYONE in an area that is not supported by a NATION STATE and/or under "extraterritorial law". All of you that work for oil companies are "NGOs" just like Blackwater and KBR.

I think what you are all really taking about is "missionaries."

Regarding Cambo, I remember reportage´of an NGO raiding the Paris Hotel with Govt help and "rescuing" some massage workers.

Relatives of the girls picketed the NGO compound alleging kidnapping and they were eventually released.

And I've had drinks with some too, one male NGO worker expressing admiration for my companion du jour, whilst his western hairy legged female companion was in the loo.

So they are/were there.

Regarding Cambo, I remember reportage´of an NGO raiding the Paris Hotel with Govt help and "rescuing" some massage workers.

Relatives of the girls picketed the NGO compound alleging kidnapping and they were eventually released.

And I've had drinks with some too, one male NGO worker expressing admiration for my companion du jour, whilst his western hairy legged female companion was in the loo.

So they are/were there.

Yep, I remember this as well. It was just a publicity stunt.

I also had dinner one night, with the same companion du jour, in a very nice restaurant on the water front.

The next table had 4 NGO types, whose topic of conversation, in between giving me withering looks of disdain, was how their careers and those of others were progressing.

I remember at the time thinking, that they weren't talking about what ever good works they were in the country to do.

I wonder if they ever do.

I will have to look it up but I was told about a problem group that rescued about 20 girls from a go go in chang mai by the RSO a few years ago.

After 2 months almost all of them had returned to the go go.

The NGO group was pissed and needless to say none of that made it to their web site.

I'd like to know more. As far as I know the only go-go bar in Chiang Mai, after John's place closed, is Spotlight. The girls in there would be a tough bunch to rescue.

Empower do some rescuing in Chiang Mai. I checked out Can Do Bar once. Didn't feel comfortable somehow. Farang dikes seem to like it though.

http://www.empowerfoundation.org/barcando_en.html

My understanding is that "Empower Foundation" was founded by a Thai woman and is know for it's non-judgmental approach completely devoid of any religious propaganda.

Girls are not told they are "Bad" and all educational and job training classes are free.

The founder achieved some local notoriety and the enmity of local powers when she picketed the Worldwide AIDS Conference held in Bangkok in 2004, protesting the non inclusion of issues regarding prostitutes and health care.

I'd like to know more. As far as I know the only go-go bar in Chiang Mai, after John's place closed, is Spotlight. The girls in there would be a tough bunch to rescue.

I walked into Spotlight once. HOLY SHIT that place was heinous. I was paying women to leave me alone. Not kidding, I actually lied to a dancer, told her I was waiting for someone, and gave her 100baht just to get some peace. That place was fucking horrid.

There's was a gogo bar called Foxy Ladies (me thinks) that was close to the night market. That place was nice, surprisingly so.

Actually got into a heated discussion about US politics with a couple old German Punters (one of these fuckers thought Dubya was a great hero, oh the horror). Several dancers around vying for attention were visibly irritated by the conversation (not unlike here and US threads). Ended up hanging with those guys a couple nights, good people.

Sorry man, I'm rambling.

Ps. I never heard of an 'Ngo' either. I thought it was a Viet group. :)

Archived