Mekong 1-0 HMRC

Mekong

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mekong, I'm not sure what it means to have yourself declared a "non U.K. citizen." Do you renounce any use of the free British health care system , social security or any other benefit, like welfare? I assume that you get to keep your citizenship and the passport that comes with it. I've heard of people renouncing their citizenship but not becoming a non (fill in the blank with a country) citizen.

Did the same thing some years ago, got 5 years worth back in total, not a great amount but worth having and paid for the house.

Re the non-UK thing it refers to non-resident. A status you need to prove, essentially by having no ties to the UK in order to (maybe) qualify for tax exempt status.

Other UK state benefits depend on whether or not you continue to pay national insurance. As a UK citizen, resident or not, you can continue to pay NI and have access to the benefits should you so want.

At the very least at age 65 you can collect (currently ha ha!) on the state pension which I think is 400 pounds (about 20,000 baht per month) for a maried couple.

Mekong, I'm not sure what it means to have yourself declared a "non U.K. citizen."

He said he had declared himself non UK resident not a non UK citizen. Big difference between not being resident in the UK and not being a UK citizen!

I also left the UK in 1988 but have never actually advised the tax authorities that I no longer reside in the UK. And after 23 years I don't think I'll bother now.

Mekong, I'm not sure what it means to have yourself declared a "non U.K. citizen." Do you renounce any use of the free British health care system , social security or any other benefit, like welfare? I assume that you get to keep your citizenship and the passport that comes with it. I've heard of people renouncing their citizenship but not becoming a non (fill in the blank with a country) citizen.

allistar,

Please re read my original post, I did not state citizenship but I did state residency, there is a major differance.

As a Non UK resident one declares that you have no holdings in the UK and therefore no tax obligations (Form P85). I still retain my citizenship, fark I would be stupid to renounce that, the British Passport is one of the most powerful documents in the world.

As Radioman said, with NI Payments I am still entitled to all benefits and I have already paid a lump sum NI to cover me until I am 65.

Still a Citizen, just not a Resident major differance.

Kong

Opps, my bad, Mekong. I did read it wrong and it made no sense when I googled "non U.K. citizen." That certainly makes sense, as you pay taxes in the country that you work, paying the U.K. would be double taxation. I don't think that I would ever use the term untraceable. It would be very unlikely that your money could be traced but using accounts in Switzerland and the Cayman Islands would be two large red flags, at least to the IRS (mainly concerning drug money). In any event, congratulations on your win!

Archived