drinking in public

it's weird, on the one hand I like the fact that you can walk down the sidewalk in Thailand with an open beer in your hand (such behavior would get you a $200 fine in the US!), in PRINCIPLE, but in reality I want to puke at the sight of the average [usually shirtless] farang walking down Sukhumvit chugging a can of Chang, haha...

I think what it boils down to is this: in the US we have way too many laws regarding things like drinking...in Thailand, they have way too few...

oh well, no place is perfect. and I'll take Thailand any day...

An open beer can as opposed to a Brown Paper Bag you have state side. No I am not taking the piss out of America the Brown Paper Bag is probably one of the most sensible police stategies ever.

When drinking in public became an in offence in the States so much Police time was wasted on this real crime was spiraling. The Chief of Police of Baltimore (I think) told his forces to put the word onto the streets if you want to drink in public just hide it in a Brown Paper Bag, if we cannot see it we cannot bust you for it ... genius.

I won't drink walking down the street, I even wait until I get somewhere before I even light up a ciggy.

There are some very good public driking places in Thailand, not so much in Sukhumvit or Silom but not far away you will find the concrete table and benches outside 7-11 / Family Mart the table withe the 8x8 square tiles in the middle resembling a chess board. Now you know you have had enough when you and your new found drinking partner have enough bottle tops to start a game of Checkers.

I have done that a few times trust me.

cwI0gbGEyuI

Don't drink in public in Tijuana either. Made that mistake once, paid $120 on the spot to a corrupt cop after they sat me in a paddy wagon full of drunk servicemen getting shaken down. This was before the insane violence swept the area, which I kinda miss going to on those impulsive weekend runs to Rosarito for some exquisite lobster.

If you think the boys in brown in LOS are corrupt... yeah. :)

Don't drink in public in Tijuana either. Made that mistake once, paid $120 on the spot to a corrupt cop after they sat me in a paddy wagon full of drunk servicemen getting shaken down. This was before the insane violence swept the area, which I kinda miss going to on those impulsive weekend runs to Rosarito for some exquisite lobster.

If you think the boys in brown in LOS are corrupt... yeah. :)

Ohhhh, used to take the bus to Rosarita and get that beer and $10 lobster!

...that has been some years ago.

Left San Diego in 2002 and have yet to return.

You could drink flagrantly outside a police box making faces at an officer on your motorbike, then if you are able to - ride off with no bother.

You'll just look like a prick that's all, and if being seen and viewed as a public drunkard & laughing stock is something you desire, then that famous Thai phrase "It's up to you", makes sense.

Since no one seems to have made a sensible comment, I would however discourage you, because the Thais look very gentle, and mostly they are, but if your drunken behavior in public makes them snap, and it's justified in their opinion(for instance injuring someone, like a child for example), God be with you because their violence will be relentless and every man, woman and child will reeducate you in a way you won't forget too quickly, ie if you are lucky enough to survive.

My advise is stay well away and drink in public bars or at home if indeed that is the way you're inclined... :beer:

Archived