Yet another tourist visa question

TheCorinthian

Vientiane is STILL issuing 2 entry Tourist Visa's, if you cross by land, using a multiple entry tourist visa, you get 60 days! If you just show up without a visa, you get 15 days, BIG difference.

I hate the board, but Thai Visa is good at these things.

Make sure you get multiple entry!

Also on your last entry you can extend it for 30 days, not 15 as many think.

Vientiane is a nice few days away anyway, if you're not in a tearing hurry to get back to Thailand that is.

One thing for sure, you will come away with some sort of visa.

I was there in October, tourist stuff, not a visa run, and had a couple of enjoyable nights out.

A shame the river front was, and probably still is, torn up.

IMG_1389.JPG

That has almost finished, I am there alternate months. I don't like it, I liked the old river front better, and the places up river - beer shacks over looking the river, great places to drink beer

I loved those beer shacks up there. There were a couple of nice restaurants there as well.

Spent many a pleasant evening, wasn't aware they were still there.

With all due respect to the other posters, I believe you are getting bad information. If you come to LOS on 60 day tourist visa and have to leave the country, you can also apply for a re-entry permit for 1000 baht (ahead of time at chaengwattana, or supposedly, there is now a desk at Suvarnabhumi by the departure immmigration area for getting a re-entry permit on the day of departure). This would work as following, let's say you are in the LOS and still have 30 days remaining until expiration of tourist visa and for whatever reason, you now must leave the country for a couple days (I believe the max is 30 days), you get the re-entry permit, and when re-entering LOS you put the old (but not used up) visa number in the entry form and show the clerk at immigration the re-entry permit. You should still be able to stay in LOS until the expiration date of the original tourist visa. You would also be eligible for the 1 month visa extension if needed. I have found several places in Thai Visa stating this as well (here is one url: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/424906-tourist-visa/page__p__4079724__hl__re-entry+permit__fromsearch__1#entry4079724

Dpending on your timing you could also do the following. I do this often as I come to Thailand in the spring, stay a few weeks, go elsewhere, usually Bali or the Maldives for a week and then come back for a couple of months. When I enter the first time, I get the 30-day stamp (even though I have a single-entry tourst visa sticker in my passport). If they see the tourist visa you will probably have to explain what you are doing and what are your intentions, but I have never had any problems after explanation. Get your 30-day entry stamp, then if you are leaving LOS before the 30 days, do so and come back this time using the 60 day tourist visa. I have done this about 5 times already with no problems.

By the way, I know they are giving multiple entry tourist visas in USA (in Chicago, at least), even during this "free" tourist visa time.

Archived