Fishing at Bangsanran expensive!

Lusty

We have been fishing there for about 5 years and we fish quite often. The costs are 1000baht per fishing pole, 1000baht if you want a guide and about 500 baht for bait. I think that fishing poles are 500 baht and they use good Shimano 6500 reels. Huts range from 500 baht for the smallest, 1000-2000 for larger huts, 2000 baht for the huts with aircon in the bedroom and 5000 baht for the hut with two aircon bedrooms. The larger ones have friges and bathrooms. We only fish with two poles, no matter how many people we have. Later in the day people get tired and have caught enough fish. It averages from 1600-2200 baht per man (girls are free) depending on how many divide up the costs. The price mentioned above includes the van used to get out there and back.

I am not running tours but from time to time people want to go fishing and sometimes we have 7 or 8 fishermen plus girlfriends/wives. I run a catfish derby out of The Tavern on Soi 4 about once a year and Steve at The Hangout on Soi 6 does the same.

There were a couple of Scandinavians there that rented the 2 bedroom hut for two weeks. They would take a taxi into Bangkok sometimes for fun and food and seemed to have girls with them all of the time. They probably worked out a deal for the rent.

The owners and staff can be a bit pushy but usually they are easy to get along with. We do have a scale and the biggest weighed so far was 145lbs. There are very large arapaima (sp?) there and that costs 10,000 baht if you hook one but I have not seen that happen. They like live bait. They are marvelous fish and I have seen them from time to time on the surface.

This is a lot of fun and first time people are astounded at the size and quantity of the fish. One day at hut 7 the fish averaged over 50 pounds.

If two people go with one pole and rent one of the 500 baht huts it would be inexpensive even if you used a guide.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets get this right Zen.

Are you saying that if you hook an Arapima you have to pay 10,000bht or it's 10,000bht to fish for them?

I ask this because quite often whilst fishing you hook into species by accident that your not targeting.

Ain't that right Phil!

Archived