Buddhism on Steroids

StoneSoup

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that looks like a UFO has landed.

Dhammakaya is a Buddhist sect that sort of reminds me of the Jimmy Swaggart and Kim Bakker kind of evangelicals. Dhammakaya gets slammed for its apparent emphasis on money - that somehow the more you give, the more merit you make. It is certainly a far cry from what the Buddha taught, but then most Christian denominations have strayed so far from Jesus's teachings that they hardly deserve the name Christian any more.

Dhammakaya is a fascinating sect however - fascinating in trying to figure out what is going on in its members' minds. The Buddhist Sangha in Thailand despises Dhammakhaya and would love to shut it down, but in reality Buddhism has many sects and branches. No reason to single out Dhammakaya when the Amithaba Buddhists are just as strange - and they are here too.

A "sect" in western usage generally means a group that is outside the norm, sort of non-mainstream. It doesn't mean it is bad, just considered sort of odd. I suppose it is more of a value judgement by non-members. :dunno:

Yep, the negative meaning of "sect" is especially a Christian thing. In medieval times the pope preferred to kill anybody (sectarian) who did not follow the catholic teachings by the book (Cathar, e.g.).

Buddhists seem to be much more relaxed in regard to this matter. Buddhist sects coexist more or less peacefully since hundreds of years.

By the way in Japan every citizen belongs _at least_ to two different religious groups: They marry Shintoist and are being buried by Buddhists. Hard to understand for a Christian...

Archived