Egypt

Coss

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a chemistry set when I was a kid. Did some experiments, never blew the house up, so I guess I am qualified as well?

I remember we bought it at a private department store, anyone remember those? family run department stores...anyway, there was a small ice cream shop on the way, and my foster mom bought me some ice cream...good times to remember.

Notice Mekong now has about 15 professions?

:p

Saudis told Obama to back Mubarak

Saudi Arabia has threatened to prop up President Mubarak if the White House tries to force a swift change of regime in Egypt.

In a testy personal telephone call on January 29, King Abdullah told President Obama not to humiliate Mr Mubarak and warned that he would step in to bankroll Egypt if the US withdrew its aid programme, worth $1.5 billion annually.

America’s closest ally in the Gulf made clear that the Egyptian President must be allowed to stay on to oversee the transition towards peaceful democracy and then leave with dignity.

“Mubarak and King Abdullah are not just allies, they are close friends, and the King is not about to see his friend cast aside and humiliated,†a senior source in the Saudi capital told The Times.

The Times

The Saudis fear the Iranians more than anyone. The Saudis see a strong Israel as a check against Iran. The only real check because Israel is really the only country ballsy enough to do something like a military strike. The second thing they fear are extremists. Bin Laden hates them and al qaida and such similar groups would also try and remove them if they could. So, a Mubarak-less Egypt poses two possible scenarios they are loathe to see happen. First, the possibility of the Moslem Brotherhood taking over which would threaten Israel and take its attention from Iran and second, the MB working convertly with al qaida elements that want to undermine them.

I am not so much worried about Egypt as I am about Yemen. That place is a hotbed for terrorism. That's the country we need to worry about.

Muslims return favor, join hands with Christian protesters for Mass in Cairo's Tahrir Square

:up:

On Friday, the holy day for Islam, Christian protesters in Tahrir Square joined hands to form a protective cordon around their Muslim countrymen so they could pray in safety.

Sunday, the Muslims returned the favor.

They surrounded Christians celebrating Mass in Cairo's central plaza, ground zero for the secular pro-democracy protests reverberating throughout the Middle East.

"In the name of Jesus and Muhammed, we unify our ranks," the Rev. Ihab al-Kharat told the crowd in his sermon.

"We will keep protesting until the fall of the tyranny," he said.

Some of the worshipers began to cry as the congregation sang, "Bless our country, listen to the cries of our hearts."

[color:red]Afterward, the crowd of both Muslims and Christians chanted "one hand" - meaning "we are one" - and held up a Koran and a cross.[/color]

Egypt's 10 million to 20 million Coptic Christians are the largest and oldest Christian community in the Middle East.

They have been targeted by Islamic extremist groups and systematically barred from official positions by President Hosni Mubarak's regime.

A year ago, nine Copts were killed and 13 were wounded when Muslim militants opened fire on worshipers leaving the church where they had celebrated Mass on the Coptic Christmas Eve, Jan. 6.

A month ago, on New Year's Eve, 23 Copts were killed and 97 injured in the bombing of a church in Alexandria during a midnight prayer service.

That history made the fellowship in Cairo yesterday all the more moving.

"Christians pray and Muslims defend them. It is a touching scene," Coptic activist Michael Muneer told Al Jazeera TV.

The images also contradict those who suggest the protesters are militants bent on installing a fundamentalist government.

Though police forces quit protecting anything - including churches - when the anti-Mubarak protests began two weeks ago, not one church has been attacked.

Mass wasn't the only ceremony yesterday at Tahrir Square.

Dr. Ahmad Zaafan and his fiancée, Oula Abdul Hamid, who had been camping in the square for 10 days, got married in the shadow of a tank.

It was like having 300,000 guests, they said.

"We both received blessings and congratulations from all over the world," said Zaafan, a volunteer medic who treated wounded protesters.

Link

Archived