Egypt

Coss

<< The Aussie Aboriginies who do drink, however, have a hard time stopping.

Other stats however (life expectancy, employment stats, health, imprisonment, etc) DO show they are, as a group, severely disadvantaged and millions of $$ are thrown at the problem. IMO most people down here want a solution, but we (as Aussies) are having a hard time finding one (including the Aboriginal Elders). >>

Sounds a lot like "Native Americans" (though they called themselves American Indians, NA is a white liberal designation). Unless things have changed, if Indians remain on their reservation they get government support. Nothing to do but watch TV and get drunk. If they leave the reservation, they have to support themselves. Many take the easy way. I remember you could always tell when you were getting near the huge (67,000 km square) Navaho reservation in New Mexico, since the highway would be lined with beer cans tossed out of the window.

That said, I had a university classmate who was Cherokee and Choctaw. He got his PhD in history and taught the subject for years. I'd loved to have sat in on a class in American history by him. (He was not a radical - in fact was proud to belong to the "civilised tribes". His wife was blonde and blue eyed.)

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Old Hippie:

Sudan has loads of oil ....

If I understand this correctly the sulphur content is very high and most of it goes to China.

If someone knows for sure would welcome correction.

Sudanese oil has a low sulphur content but a fairly high API (32) which makes it waxy. It accounts for about 90% of exports, mostly to China and they refine it themselves for domestic use. They have a lot of reserves especially in the South which probably had nothing to do with the recent move to independence. More to do with revenue sharing because the South has no pipeline to the coast yet.

>>Sounds a lot like "Native Americans"

..."The Fatal Impact" by Alan Moorhead is a very good read. The Penguin paperback easily obtainable 2nd hand. Tells a similar story wherever Europeans occupied native lands... Tahitians, Maoris, Aborigines, Inuits, Native Americans.. having lost their land and culture in despair turned to alcohol and a futile existence.

Review (Amazon) and another review

Apologies to OP for going off topic.

>>The Zionist plot in the ME is WRONG and cruel. satisfied!!!!

.. nah, I'm still coming to live next door to you. Imagine the scene. LP spies Robaus coming down the path to borrow a cup of sugar ...

"Quick, kids, hide behind the sofa. It's that Aussie bastard from number 69 .. the bugger will be talking Mid East politics for the next 3 hours!" :-)

:beer:

Suadanese Oil has the same Sulphur Content as Arabian Light, but what the fark do I know I only Engineer refineries.

It is a piece of piss to remove Sulphur in the CDU / VDU (Crude Distilaation / Vacuum Distallation Unit) front end of any refinary.

CDU / VDU, HNDT (Hydrotreater) then into Aromatics (your Ethelynes) C4's, but I know fuck all I have only been building Oil refineries for the past 30 years, damn even one of my Daughters is a Process Engineer, I taught her well.

Desulpharisation is simple, it is how you run your CDU (Crude Distallation Unit) It's not rocket science

Kong

Sudanese crude, the so-called Nile Blend, is generally considered low in sulphur but fairly high in asphaltenes. More than 1% sulphur is considered high I believe but of course there is more to the designation heavy v. light than sulphur content.

http://www.ecosonline.org/news/2008/sudan_oil_sectors_background.doc/

Desulphurisation is indeed a simple process but it increases the cost. As usual Mekong I appreciate the information more than the tone.

Archived