Egypt

Coss

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's think about this for a moment phil. Either we have some people who just like destroying old artifacts for fun or they were looking for something valuable that could be easily transported. Hopefully it wasn't the Tutankumen relics which are works of art in their own right. Or maybe they were pissed off because there was no cash in the ticket office. Either way I think we need more details.

ETHANOL

All can be directly related back to US farm policy of creating ethanol based fuels. Wheat, sobybean, etc. crops being changed to corn. As a result - all food prices rise as less wheat, soybean, etc. on global markets and prices rise for such. Causing global instability.

"Rising oil prices have prompted an increased demand for food-based fuels. Many say these have the potential to wean developed nations off of their oil addictions. However, as Lester Brown writes, the increasing production of food-based fuels could cause more people to suffer from hunger and add to global political instability."

LINK

When people are hungry - they riot.

The main problem with Ethanol and other food based fuels, is it takes energy to make them. That energy has to come from somewhere. Why use 1gallion of fuel to make a gallon of another fuel? If the U.S. went nuclear, we could greatly cut the need for oil. The nukes could then be used to make hydrogen gas for cars and maybe bio fuels as well, far more efficiently.

In going Nuclear, we could help cut down on smog/pollution as well as sending the message that these ass backward arab pokes can choke on their oil. Of course we won't do that because the politicians and big biz rats make too much off of oil...

What happened to American optimism Steve? Why are you so sure fundamentalists would take over? Seems to me most of the protesters want a fair election....no suggestion that the Muslim Brotherhood would win. Why not let them have some freedom and human dignity? Isn't that what the US is supposed to stand for? Of course the Palestinian problem will still be there. Israel wants to get rid of them all some how. The real test will come if a new government in Egypt opens the Rafah crossing to Gaza.

Chuckwoww, you'be been around long enough to know I'm now a cynical rat bastard who has had his ebullient optimism sucked out of him like a BJ from a 200 baht whore on Pattaya's beach road.

The people are so desparate they'll go running to the extremists.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/sep/15/egypt-elections-regime-boycott-mobilise

In 2005, in the last round of parliamentary elections, the most serious opposition was the Muslim Brotherhood: running as independents, they won 88 of the 150 seats they contested (from a total of 444 elected seats).

These are in a parliament that had no real power. In a fair election they'd walk it.

Don't let neocon propaganda whip you up Steve. The Muslim Brotherhood is quite savvy. They know most of the protestors are young educated types. Personally I don't see an Iran situation developing in Egypt. I think the next leader is more likely to be a military man. The army seems popular. Perhaps Mubarrak made Omar Suleiman VP as an interim solution?

http://www.haaretz.com/news/international/egypt-protesters-and-soldiers-the-army-and-the-people-are-one-1.339985

Archived