Chiang Mai food in BKK

Wallenda

Last time I was in Bangkok, had no time to head north to try some of my favorite Thai food -- things like khao soi, hangleh curry, chiang mai sausage, etc. I located a place on Suk Soi 22 near Washington Square that was known for Northern Thai. No hangleh curry on the menu. The khao soi was wrong. Didn't have the right noodles, the gravy didn't taste right, most items on the menu were the standard Thai types, not really northern.

There must be better than this place.

I'd be interested to hear of low-end and also more expensive places. Hopefully I won't need to go to a pricey 4-star restaurant to get decent northern Thai food.

I did spot another thread on this same subject here in this Food section (from a few years back), but the OP showed a photo of a sign with no info at all about its whereabouts. And I'd be curious to hear of more than just one place anyway.

Thanks!

What is the name of the small place on Suk soi 22 just past the Wash Square entrance, same side, about 10 store fronts down? They had good Northern style Thai food a few years back. I used to go there frequently a few years ago. Always liked the foods there. Not expensive, middle priced, it used to have wooden doors and green glass handles on the entrance. Not sure if they still do, as it was refitted a while back I'd noticed. Menu podium out front and just before a small tourist silk and trinket shop. Damn, can't remember the name of the place.

Raan Derm is just regular Thai, not Lanna Thai.

I think Cent is thinking of Kling Khao, nearby.

One can also get decent khao soi (gai, moo or neua) at Lamyai on Lang Suan soi 6, Pantip Plaza food court, Yuy Lee at 25 Sukhumvit soi 31 or best: the BKK branch of the famous Chiang Mai restaurant Lam Duan Fah Ham out near the old airport on Vibhavadi-Rangsit soi 58.

Kling Khao for sure.

Same place "Jack" lives

Last time I ate there (probably just over a year ago) I was disappointed

Definitely not as good as previous visits.....Service was average....and the price...quite steep....All... IMHO (of course)

I have not been back

Yes, LK, that's the one. Kling Khao. Used to be good, but I haven't eaten there in a couple of years now. Happened across it years ago when looking for a place to lunch with a mutual friend of ours. We had a few get-togethers with others you know there when in Bangers. And yes, it is where Jack keeps his 'stock'. Was in there with him a while back upstairs looking through his inventory. :-) Didn't eat though that time, just had a beer.

Archived