Sven: City lucky to be rid of Thaksin Shinawatra

Flashermac

The master and his pupil go head to head again at Eastlands tonight with a place in the FA Cup fourth round at stake.

[color:blue]And Sven-Goran Eriksson makes his first return to City as a manager since his unpopular sacking in 2008, declaring the fans should be glad Eastlands is now a Thaksin-free zone.[/color]

Eriksson, who put the attacking verve back in City and pulled off a memorable derby double over United, is sure to get a warm welcome from Blues fans.

But he still has designs on messing up City’s hunt for a trophy by completing the job which his feisty Championship side almost pulled off nine days ago in the 2-2 draw at Walkers Stadium.

[color:red]Eriksson has fond memories of City, even though his reign lasted a year and he suffered extreme frustration at the ownership of Thaksin Shinawatra before his untimely sacking.[/color]

[color:red]Eriksson revealed recently how the Thai tycoon would shun him when City lost but be full of hugs and dinner invitations when they won, as well as exhibiting a serious lack of football knowledge.[/color]

[color:red]“The year I was at City the people treated me extremely well,†said Eriksson. “The fans always got behind the team and there were good people working in the club, so I am looking forward to going back.[/color]

[color:red]“I have nothing against anyone at City. The only one who didn’t understand anything was the owner at that time. They are lucky he is not there any more and he should never have come. But now they have good owners.[/color]

“I think I will get a positive reaction. Most of the year I was there I think the fans were happy and we had some very good results. We also played some good football.

“It was only at the end we didn’t do very well, for the last three or four games.â€Â

But once the mutual respect has been accorded, Eriksson will be going all out to register a famous victory for the Foxes.

“It is a very good game for us and a big honour for us to still be in the cup,†he said.

“We play Manchester City and we are going to try and do everything we can to beat them. Of course, it is not going to be easy.

“It is not often you can go and dominate against City twice in nine days. But why not because we did very well against them at home?

“They scored four against Wolves but at the same time they conceded three. I am sure Mancini is happy with the result but I am sure he is not happy with conceding three goals at home.â€Â

And the Swede promised that he will not be coming to Manchester to try and frustrate the Blues, saying his team will play the kind of attacking football which made him such a favourite with City fans. “We will not try to defend only because I don’t think we should do that, we should attack them and play the ball on the ground,†he said.

Mancini is expected to make a handful of changes from the side which beat Wolves at the weekend, with Patrick Vieira, James Milner, David Silva, Jo, Joleon Lescott and Jerome Boateng all primed to come in.

Mancini believes that the award-winning Eastlands pitch will suit his team after bemoaning the state of the playing surface on which the teams fought out a 2-2 draw at Leicester.

“In Leicester it was difficult,†he said. “The pitch was very hard, and I think this will be a different game. But in the FA Cup you should always play well and at 100 per cent. After watching what happened to Newcastle, Derby, and Sunderland it shows it is important that we take this game very well.

“Patrick Vieira will probably play. He is an important member of our squad and a good player with experience. But we also have Jerome, James, David, Jo, Lescott. We have other players that we can win this game.â€Â

Edin Dzeko is ineligible under FA rules but will be free to play in the next round if City qualify.

Former City striker Darius Vassell, who has had a hamstring problem, could be back for the visitors.

Sod off, Takky!

Archived