Working in oil and gas

snowball

What does the role of "mudlogger" involve? Is it a a professional role within the oil and gas industry?

What sort of salaries could generally be expected? My nephew is looking at his career options.

I have done a little bit of research and it seems to be a sort of "support" role, mainly undertaken by Philipinos and other third world labour.

Is this the case throughout the industry. I have said he should go to university and complete a degree specific to the oil and gas industry, geophysics, or whatever it is they do.

Many thanks, my nephew is 19 by the way.

Snowy..

When I was in Texas and made a visit to an oil drilling operation, they had a separate trailer setup for the mudlogger. Was an older woman, writing down the gas samples (or whatever). Not much in the way of pay or education required as she just read the data off some meters.

It was a 24/7 job, so they had several.

Don’t have your nephew focus on just the upstream sector of the O&G business. The downstream probably employees several times as many people and you don’t have to work on platforms in the middle of the ocean. At the worst you end up in a camp somewhere in the ME and get to take R&R in Thailand. At best you get a permanent assignment to Thailand.

An engineering degree is what he would need. The ones in most demand tend to be in the more technical fields so something like chemical or electrical engineering is a good start.

TH

Come on TH there are two fields in O&G Instrumentation / Autimation my game. or Process.

My little girl (well not so little now anymore she is 28) is a Process Engimeer, I put her into a mans world.

She does Brainstorm me via email and wants to work with me, I don't think so, I am working with a French female process engineer snd thats enough, no way I could work with my daughter.

She is in the London office of your Company. My Old man was an Electrical engineer. he pointed me towards instrumentsion, good move.

Her twin sister is a bloody lawyer, I can accept a Process Engineer Daughter (proud of her) but a farking lawyer, so surprised how different they turned out Whatever!

She is bloody good but there is no way I could work with her cannot be done, stay out of my company. If she wants to go freelance I will assist, afterall she is my little girl, but she has to be solo, no way can she hang onto me, am I an asshole probably, but she needs to learn responsability.

I had fuck all and made a life, she can do the same, Bastard father Ha Ha

You have to be cruel to be kind

TM4RtUo5s0g

• 4 weeks later...

snowball,

Mudloggers are at the very low-end of the totem pole. Mudlogging companies don't really have anything to differentiate themselves from the competition other than low prices. That means these companies are running on very thin budgets. Salaries are negligble compared to the other service companies.

If your nephew wants to pursue a career in the industry then as mentioned before an engineering degree is the way to go. Petroleum, chemical, mechanical, electrical, it really doesn't matter. The industry requires qualified people from all the engineering disciplines.

However, I would recommend he stay away from petroleum engineering unless that is where his true interest lies. The industry is notorious for downturns. It would be better to have a broader background in one of the other engineering fields so he could switch industries if required.

Archived