I'm done with Thailand. The love affair is over.

doris day

I actually logged on here today to start a post about how I'm finished with Thailand. the last trip (just got back a few weeks ago) did it for me. I can't do Bangkok anymore, it's dead to me now (but i still love the shopping :)....) and although I enjoyed Pattaya for the first time I feel like expats and long timers there are retreating to 'darker corners' to get a reasonable experience. Walking street is ridiculous. It's pure spectacle and only for the idiot newbie. It's ruined.

For the last couple of trips i've been fortunate enough to meet a nice girl and spent all my time with her and not indulged in p4p. I think that's extended my desire to return but this time I met a few girls but it was mostly all p4p and I didn't feel the same way about it that i did when i was heavily into it 4 or 5 years ago.

I feel that Thailand is changing rapidly (or perhaps its me?). It's become too commercial, too many punters, rising prices, mostly different attitudes from the girls i.e. you see the desperation, the craving for money, perhaps bought on by so many people going there for sex. It's lost it's charm. The Thai desire for a better life...the money...doing anything to make a buck and the tourists flocking there and using the women and the country to placate their sexual urges.

ok these are just a few isolated incidents to highlight how for me the place is ruined. I know these things were in existence the whole time...ie eight years ago when i fist came to Thailand and perhaps it's just taken eight years for me to lose the rose coloured glassed but for whatever reason I'm done with Thailand.

I was in a normal bar and saw a nordic area family. The man was incredibly rude to a waitress who was lucky to be 18. He was murdering the English language and then couldn't believe this poor girl couldn't understand him. The fat old hag chain smoking wife then joined in. I struggled not to walk over there and let him know if he ever spoke to this girl like that again I was going to flatten him. A few minutes later their son...maybe 10 years old started screaming to the waitress that the internet wasn't working. Rude little bastard was learning his manners from his father.

On the flip side. I was walking along a road just off walking street and taking photos of the food and 'life' going on. I was about to take a photo of one of those food stalls that sell the green curries etc and a woman who owned a jewellrey shop yelled out to me not to take a photo of it. Um yeah right. I paused and then thought fuck it i don't need the aggravation of telling this thai moron to fuck off. Walked off without the photo. Farang hatred.

Went to bangkok and stayed in the same hotel that I did on my very first visit to BKK 8 years ago. Street bars are everywhere along Sukhumvit. Even though I was several floors up the noise from the street bars was obscene and kept me up every night. i don't think they stopped until 5am. Pointless staying anywhere near Sukhumvit now. Street bars everywhere, stalls lining all the streets in any tourist area. Twice I copped it from drunken bargirls. in Pattaya a drunken bargirl was having a discussion with another girl and me and my barfine walked up to the taxi motorbike stand where this discussion was taking place and we got onto two seperate bikes. As soon as i got ona bike the drunken girl who had shown no interest in getting on a bike all of a sudden turned and with her large sharp nails grabbed my arm and attempted to rip me off the bike leaving a rather large scratch and bruise on my arm that didn't go away for a week. We all ended up going in the same direction so i then had to cop a verbal tirade from this whore all the way home. I really wanted to belt the little bitch.

My friend and i took girls from Airport Club. i knew that was a mistake but he's a newbie and I wanted him to have fun so i agreed to also take a girl. She was an absolute ten. Stunning in every respect...apart from her attitude that is. It was like fucking a blow up doll. That's about as much reaction i got from her. She sucked me off for about ten seconds and then said ok finish. Hmmm. Wouldnt cuddle when sleeping. She ordered me to the other side of the bed. In the morning every excuse under the sun not to have the 2nd round. yes this was meant to be long time. Now wait for the kicker.....the mama and the girl insisted on the money upfront. yep i know. and my mate said that was the same at 'whats up' as well. the mama also wanted a tip from my mate. they know the newbies. i didn't get asked for a tip.

Same friend got drugged in Insomnia and taken for cash and his iphone. I was going to join him that night but ended up going with another girl from a quieter go go away from the bullshit of walking street. He was with some 'old hands' but still got caught out. Two girls came over to him and then bought 3 shooters for them all and sure enough his was drugged. He'd been drinking for hours before that so he was doubly fucked...a newbie and drunk an easy target.

The muay thai boxing ring among the bars on soi 8? go a couple of rounds then go around asking for a tip. so every 20 or 30 minutes you have to tip just to sit there and drink. the bars there must hate this because even if u initially sit and drink because of the boxing, you leave quickly cause you get sick of having to tip.

Massage girls asking for big money. Now I should clarify, every massage shop I went into (barring one actually) was full sex. Sometimes the massage wasn't even instigated.

At the airport I went to the taxi meter stand....you know the one where you get the actual price for getting somewhere not the made up taxi price....and they quoted me 1,500 baht from the airport to Pattaya. I couldn't believe it. Went up to Departures and got it for a 1,000.

I found it difficult to watch the hard working thais in my favourite restaurant deal with retarded and rude farangs. I watched them work understaffed and for little pay. I tipped very well here. I really liked a waitress here but too short on time to get to know her.

Look I did have some good experiences as well. Free shag from a stunner in Patts, more free shags from an old friend who I finally got to fuck after years of not getting round to it.

The darkside in Pattaya is way overhyped but it is cheap and more relaxed. not so much bullshit.

The Thailand i knew has lots its innocence. It's devouring itself in search of cash. Beaches with deckchairs covering every inch of beach to maximise profits, I haven't been back to phuket for years because it was getting too commercial, too developed and Pattaya is the same and Bangkok's streets are just stupid with their street stalls and street bars.

Sorry for the rambling but I've finally fallen out of love with the place. It feels like a marriage that's gone bad. eight years is about the period for marriages to end too. i have found a new passion and as much as i'd like to write about it...I am very scared it will become like Thailand....ruined. So I'm going to resist writing a travel report.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had a mate come back after an 8 day trip, he has been over to LOS about 4 times this year. I got an SMS the day before he left and he stated, quote, "I am over it".

I agree, LOS has changed and it has become commercialized and money orientated, but I try to avoid the Sukhumvits and Pattaya. Because of that I actually still enjoy my trips there, and maybe, I will even buy an apartment there soon. I think once you get away from the sex scene that it is still a very pleasant experience and that old time magic still exists - it is still the place for sex with young girls (twenty onwards) who just like a farang for companionship and no strings sex :beer:

Gee willikers, Toto. It's not like Kansas anymore.

I came here in the early 1970s. Think about a city of 1.5 million people. Think about friendly smiling Buddhists who didn't really give a damn about screwing anybody out of money, not even in the bars. How about BGs who went home with you, and you'd wake up in the morning to find they'd cleaned your house and made your breakfast? I have a friend who took home a freelancer in Pattaya for 50 baht. He woke up to find she'd gone out and bought then both breakfast out of her 50 baht ( 2 breakfasts at 3 baht each). How about a 20-something year old, slender, good looking me? I don't even recognise that old coot who looks back at me whenever I see a mirror. Yet when I'd talk to Jorges Orgibet, who came to Bangkok at the end of World War II with Jim Thompson, I would marvel at the fantastic Thailand he described and wish I could have seen it in the late 1940s and '50.

My point is that tourism unfortunately ruins the very thing that brought tourists there in the first place. Change is inevitable. Look at Phuket, look at Pattaya - once both quiet get-aways with a small but sufficient nightlife. To a newbie they are still exciting and fun. To an relative "old timer" (though 8 years is still a newbie to me), it is just not the same.

But no matter where you go, it will happen sooner or later again. I saw it happen along the US-Mexican border. If freshness is what interests you, you'll be like a surfer. You ride the wave until it breaks, then you look for another one.

I tired of the nightlife many years ago. But I've found other things to keep me here - things I won't have at home. Hell, I shagged my first Asian hooker in 1969, in An Khe, Republic of Vietnam (not any damned "people's republic " either).

Enjoy the ride while it lasts. Sooner or later it always stops. :beer:

Guest lazyphil

<>

Thai360 can be found worldwide :D ..kidding mate. yeah LOS is changing i guess, everywhere changes and for me, a bit of extra clutter wont put me off :content: ....khao sok national park was deserted, got to say that was one hell of a stay, no pushy touts, incredibly beautiful, found a lovely restaurant called pawns (just outside the park HQ), unforgetable, very kind chef, picked a plate of rambutans from their tree for us for no charge, stuff like this still experienced in thailand. kata beach was pretty chilled out too.....its not gone to the dogs. imo

"I think once you get away from the sex scene that it is still a very pleasant experience and that old time magic still exists - it is still the place for sex with young girls (twenty onwards) who just like a farang for companionship and no strings sex " yessum...

Can get jaded anywhere...

Those of us who've spent about 6 months in LOS over 20 years, can still suspend disbelief and enjoy what is proscribed back here in the wasteland.

"I think once you get away from the sex scene that it is still a very pleasant experience and that old time magic still exists - it is still the place for sex with young girls (twenty onwards) who just like a farang for companionship and no strings sex " yessum...[color:red] Could not agree more.....but disagree with the....no strings....Wallet strings are paramount.. always....lol [/color]

Can get jaded anywhere...[color:red] Ain't that the truth Bro....[/color]

Those of us who've spent about 6 months in LOS over 20 years, can still suspend disbelief and enjoy what is proscribed back here in the wasteland.

...[color:red]That's so true[/color]

But after 2 years of (fulltime) living here....maybe 4 months in Bkk and the rest "Upcountry" I've learned a thing or 2....

The first year I spent most of my time "hanging" in the "Farang Ghetto".. be it Bkk or Upcountry.... guess it was the Kid in a Candy Store syndrome....

But after that.... I've retreated.....

As a friend of mine says....."A lot of these people....especially upcountry, would be Institutionalized if they were still in their own Country".... (maybe me included lol )

I have a small "core group" of very good friends...whom I trust implicitly....but away from that I am extremely cautious these days...(lessons well learnt)

Would I want to change my current situation..... NEVER...

Life is good

Cheers DS

Archived