I'm done with Thailand. The love affair is over.

doris day

Doris day,

It surely depends on what you're looking for AND the world is changing, always has.

I am only interested in watching the rice grow and having a Thai bird in my bed. I have both, thus all is fine.

On top of that the sun shines 350 days/year, it never freezes or snows.

What more could I want?

OK, I need to get out of the bloody country every 5 months (twice year thus)to keep my sanity from the "Thai culture"( I do shake my head daily for the stupidities I see here), get a week to the mountains or the sea now and then, I have sufficient funds to finance all that.

Enough is enough, dumped the rat race, I will stay here some more years under these conditions.

1500 baht for a taxi to patters from the taxi stand eh!

I am off to one of these holiday weeks early March, flying Udon-Phuke-it, need taxi to Khao Lak, internet booking 1500 baht and the distance is less than Swampy-Patters. Note that I paid our flight ticket 964 baht, return for two, 20kgs luggage included. Must be 1200kms one way. Where can you get that??

Thus the extra 2x1500 to from phuke-it airport won't break my travel budget.

And I got an upstairs deal Swampy-patters for 800, where can you get that?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only cities I have visited are BKK and Chiang Mai. I have been to smaller towns - Pattaya, Hua Hin, Chumphon, Koh Chang (ok, *villages* on Koh Chang) and some border towns near the Cambo border. I would have added Udon Thani and Nong Khai, but they probably belong to Laos - who knows, maybe they will again.

I suspect that I may be the only longtime board member who has never been to Phuket - happy to hear otherwise.

You haven't missed much, unless you'd gone long ago. From a quiet get-away with almost empty beaches, it has turned into a bigger version of Pattaya.

Yeah, I would have expected that, but they are known quantities. I liked Hua Hin the first couple of times, but last time every restaurant was packed with Farang and it left me unimpressed. I guess its all in the timing.

Yes indeed. Had a similar incident on walking st. There were bunch of masseuses setting on those really low plastic chairs. I said hello and proceeded to take 1 picture of them. There must have been around 5 ladies. After, as I thanked them and started to walk away...they all put thier hands out and said "tip,tip,tip,tip", I got really pissed off and show them that I was deleting pics. That "tip,tip,tip" is getting really annoying. Only country in the world I've experienced this. chok dii ABE :sad:

Yes indeed. Had a similar incident on walking st. There were bunch of masseuses setting on those really low plastic chairs. I said hello and proceeded to take 1 picture of them. There must have been around 5 ladies. After, as I thanked them and started to walk away...they all put thier hands out and said "tip,tip,tip,tip", I got really pissed off and show them that I was deleting pics. That "tip,tip,tip" is getting really annoying. Only country in the world I've experienced this. chok dii ABE :sad:

What would your experience have been like if you were say, in a western country, outside someone's workplace and just took a snap or two :beer:

Archived